Jackfruits are tasty as well as quite nutritious. They have a lot of vitamins and minerals essential for the growth and development of our Hamsters. We definitely love this amazing fruit, but what about our Hamsters? Can Hamsters eat jackfruits? Is it safe for them? I did some research on this, and here is what I have learned about it.
Hamsters can definitely eat jackfruits. Jackfruit contains a decent amount of nutrients needed by our Hamsters. However, one must not forget to remove the outer skin and the seeds before serving them to the Hamsters. Also, never feed too much of the fruit at a time and limit the frequency to once a week only.
Overeating of any kind of fruit is a horrible idea for our Hamsters, Most fruits are rich in sugar which may lead to significant health problems in our little ones.
Hamsters have a sensetive digestive system therefore they cannot handle sugar well. So, it is important to serve the sugar rich food in limitation.
Jackfruits should be served as treats only. You must not include this fruit in their regular routine.
Now that ]we know that we can feed jackfruit to our Hamsters, we must learn the good and the bad side of serving the fruit to our Hamsters. Don’t worry; I have got all the details for you. Let’s dive right into it
Nutrition In Jackfruits
Let us look in detail the nutritional values of 100 grams of jackfruit.
|Total lipid (fat)||0.64 g|
|Carbohydrate, by difference||23.25 g|
|Fiber, total dietary||1.5 g|
|Sugars, total including NLEA||19.08 g|
|Glucose (dextrose)||9.48 g|
|Calcium, Ca||24 mg|
|Iron, Fe||0.23 mg|
|Magnesium, Mg||29 mg|
|Phosphorus, P||21 mg|
|Potassium, K||448 mg|
|Sodium, Na||2 mg|
|Zinc, Zn||0.13 mg|
|Copper, Cu||0.076 mg|
|Manganese, Mn||0.043 mg|
|Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid||13.7 mg|
|Vitamin B-6||0.329 mg|
|Folate, total||24 µg|
|Vitamin A, IU||110 IU|
|Lutein + zeaxanthin||157 µg|
Are Hamsters Allowed To Eat Jackfruit?
Jackfruits are completely safe for consumption by our Hamsters. However, it is important to keep the serving quantity in moderation to avoid any kind of health complications.
Jackfruits provide a ton of nutritional benefit to our Hamsters. On the other hand, jackfruits also contains traces of fat, phosphorus, and sugar which is harmful for the Hamsters in the long run.
There are a few things you must keep in mind before serving jackfruits to your Hamsters. Listed below are some of the hazards or drawbacks of feeding jackfruits to our Hamsters:
- Diabetes, Diarrhea & Other Digestive Problems: Jackfruits contains a decent amount of sugar. Therefore, overfeeding jackfruits can lead to health problems in our Hamsters such as diarrhea, and diabetes. They may also start to face other similar digestive problems.
- Improper Bowel Movements: Overconsumption of jackfruit can lead to improper bowel movements in our little ones. Jackfruits are rich in dietary fibers. Although dietary fibers are essential for proper digestion in our Hamsters, overconsumption may result in health problems such as constipation.
- Urinary Complications: Overconsumption of calcium can lead to health problems such as bladder stones and other kidney problems.
To learn more about the fruits and vegetables you can and cannot feed your Hamsters, refer to the articles linked below:
- What Fruits Can Hamsters Eat? (Complete List, Serving Size & More)
- What Vegetables Can Hamsters Eat? ( List, Serving size & More )
Benefits Of Feeding Jackfruit To Our Hamsters?
Jackfruits make an excellent snack for our Hamsters. it contains essential vitamins and minerals, required for overall growth and development of our little ones. There are a lot of ways by which jackfruits benefits our Hamsters. Some of them are listed below:
- Prevention From Diseases Such As Scurvy: The presence of Vitamin C in jackfruits is a boon for our Hamsters. As Hamsters cannot produce it on their own, they must be provided with it from some outside source. Consumption of an appropriate amount of Vitamin C helps to prevent diseases such as scurvy in our Hamsters.
- Rich In Antioxidants: Jackfruits are packed with antioxidants. These antioxidants help our Hamsters to keep their immune system as well as their nervous system strong. Therefore, our Hamster stays safe and disease-free.
- Keeps Their Heart Healthy: Consumption of jackfruits helps to reduce the risk of chronic diseases in our Hamsters. It also controls the blood sugar level, maintains blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Rich In Iron: the presence of iron in jackfruits helps our Hamsters by improving the oxygen-carrying capacity in their blood.
Have a look at these best-selling, ‘Hamster Water bottle’ I found on Amazon. My Hamster loves them, yours will love them too.
What Parts Of Jackfruits Can Hamsters Eat?
All parts of jackfruits are edible for our Hamsters. Therefore, it essential to learn everything about the fruit in detail before serving it to our Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Jackfruit Skin?
The skin of jackfruit is not safe for consumption by our Hamsters. It is best to remove the skin before serving the fruit to our Hamsters.
The skin of the fruit has a hard, rough, and thick texture, which makes it difficult for our Hamsters to chew. They may even end up choking themselves to death.
Therefore, it would be best to avoid serving jackfruit with it’s skin. Just the flesh of the fruit is perfect for our Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Jackfruit Stems?
We must not feed jackfruit stems to our Hamsters. This is because there is no such evidence which supports that jackfruit stems are safe for consumption by our Hamsters.
Therefore, it is best to avoid serving jackfruit stems to our Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Jackfruit Seeds?
We must avoid feeding jackfruit seeds to our Hamsters. They are not safe for consumption by our Hamsters.
Although these have a lot of nutritional value, they are not safe for our Hamsters. Consumption of these seeds might lead to choking and even indigestion in our little ones. Therefore, avoid serving these seeds to your Hamsters in all conditions.
How Much Jackfruit Can My Hamster Eat?
Although jackfruits are packed with vitamins and minerals we should not serve more than a small piece to our Hamsters at a time.
Jackfruits contain a decent amount of sugar and fat, which can be harmful to our Hamsters in the long run. They have a weak digestive system and therefore cannot digest food properly as we humans.
Serving in moderation will help our Hamsters get the maximum benefit from the fruit.
How Often Can My Hamsters Eat Jackfruits?
Serving our Hamsters with jackfruits once in a week or two would be the best and safe option. Let’s say, you have served your Hamster jackfruit on Sunday, so do not make the next serving anytime before Saturday.
It is seen that most Hamsters do not enjoy eating jackfruit. However, the taste preference also depends upon the personality of each Hamster. Your Hamster might enjoy the fruit or might even hate it, you need a taste test to find out.
Give a tiny amount of the fruit the first time you serve them and see how they respond. If they do not show any negative reactions, then you are good to go. Some Hamsters are allergic to certain kinds of food therefore you need to be careful about the same.
- Why Is My Hamster Scared Of Me?
- Do Hamsters Like Hammocks? (DIY + 10 Best Hammocks)
- Why Does My Hamster’s Cage Smell So Bad? (What To Do)
- Why Does My Hamster Stare At Me? (This Is What You Must Know)
- Why Doesn’t My Hamster Like Me? How To Make My Hamster Like Me?
Correct Way To Prepare Jackfruit For My Hamsters
Preparing jackfruit for our Hamsters is quite quick and straightforward. However, there are a few things you must keep in mind before doing the same.
Follow the steps listed below to easily prepare jackfruit for your little ones:
- The first step involves choosing the perfect fruit for your Hamsters. Make sure the fruit is not unripe or has not become soggy.
- Jackfruits are quite big. Use a sharp knife to cut the fruit into two halves. You will see a large white stem in the center portion of the fruit. Remove those as they are not edible for our Hamsters.
- As jackfruit is quite sticky, you might face some difficulties to cut it to piece. Therefore, I would advise you to start by applying vegetable oil on the knife and on your hand. This will avoid the problem by diffusing the sticky sap.
- Next, you need to deseed the fruit. Applying oil to your hands will make it easier for you to remove the seeds.
- The pulp and the seed of the fruit are not edible for our Hamsters. Therefore, you need to make sure that the flesh of the fruit is free from these.
- Now slice a tiny piece of the fruit’s flesh for your Hamsters. Wash it properly in order to get rid of the oil. Do not feed your Hamster more than the advised quantity. Overconsumption might lead to serious health problems in our Hamsters.
- Lastly, remove all the uneaten fruit for your Hamster’s cage after a few hours of serving them. Rotten food generates a foul smell, which might attract flies, rats, and other pests near your Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Cooked Jackfruit?
Cooked jackfruit is not at all suitable for consumption by our Hamsters. Most cooked foods are not fit for our Hamsters.
Fresh fruits and vegetables makes the best choice for our Hamsters. Cooking of fruits diminishes its nutritional value. Therefore, it is best to serve them raw.
Also, cooked food has other added ingredients such as spice, salt, or sugar which can be dangerous for our Hamster’s health. Hamsters have a sensitive digestive system and they cannot digest cooked food well.
Have a look at these best-selling ‘Hamster Chew Toys’ I found on Amazon. My Hamster loves them, yours will love them too.
What Other Fruits Can Hamsters Eat?
Hamsters can eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. Listed below are some of the healthy options you can feed your Hamsters without any worries:
Apples make a healthy snack option for our Hamsters. They are packed with vital vitamins and minerals needed by our Hamsters. However, not all kinds of apples are suitable for consumption by our Hamsters. The regular red apples prove to be the best option for our Hamsters.
A small slice of the fruit once a week is perfect for our Hamsters. You can also mix the fruit with some healthier options to provide a balanced diet to your Hamsters. Also, you must know that apple core and seeds are unfit for our Hamsters therefore you must remove them before feeding. Never provide your Hamsters with apple sauce, juice, jam, or any other such things to eat.
Most berries are safe for our Hamsters. However, blueberries are my Hamster’s favorite snack. Blueberries are super fruits rich and vitamins, minerals, and essential antioxidants. These antioxidants keep their immune system strong and ensure the prevention of several diseases.
Do not serve your Hamsters any more than one-two small berries a week. It is important to serve these fruits in moderation in order to avoid any kinds of health complications in the late stage of their lives. Overconsumption of blueberries may lead to health problems such as diarrhea, obesity, and diabetes in our little ones.
Cherries make an excellent choice for our Hamsters. They are rich in several essential vitamins and other nutrients required by our Hamsters. A rare compound present in cherries called anthocyanins helps to reduce inflammation in our little ones. Therefore, adding cherries to your Hamster’s diet is a great choice.
However, you must serve these cherries are occasional treats only. One-two small cherries once a week is best for our Hamsters. Also, do not forget to deseed the cherries before serving to your Hamsters. Cherry seeds are not fit for consumption to our Hamsters. It can easily cause a choking hazard in them.