Cherries are superfood filled with vitamins and minerals. They are extremely delicious, and we certainly enjoy its taste, but can our Hamsters eat cherries? Is is safe of them? I did some research and here is what I have learned.
Hamsters can eat cherries but in small quantities only. However, cherry pits are not edible for our Hamsters. Cherries make an excellent snack for our Hamsters as they are packed with essential vitamins and nutrients. However, it contains traces of sugar thus we must feed it in moderation.
Consumption of excessive amount of sugar can lead to health problems in our Hamsters.
So, now that you know you can feed cherries to our Hamsters, you must be excited to throw in some.
But wait! It is important for you to learn about its nutritional value and how much you can feed to your Hamsters to make sure the fruit does not have any bad impact on your Hamsters.
Nutrition In Cherries
Let us look in detail the nutritional values of 100 grams of cherries.
|Vitamin C||7 mg|
|Vitamin K||2.1 µg|
|Vitamin A||3 µg|
Listed below are some of the important nutrients present in cherries:
- Anthocyanins: Anthocyanin is a rare enzyme present in cherries. It helps our Hamsters to regulate their blood pressure. Also, it is important for good cardiovascular health of our Hamsters.
- Vitamin C: Cherries contain a decent amount of Vitamin C. Vitamin C is one of the most vital component of our Hamster’s diet. It strengthens their immune system and helps them to fightback diseases. It also helps them to prevent diseases like scurvy.
- Vitamin A & Carotene: These are one of the essential vitamins present in the cherries. Besides promoting healthy growth of hair & skin, it also strengthens their immune system. There vitamins are also helps our Hamsters to maintain good vision.
Are Cherries Safe For Our Hamsters?
Cherries are totally safe for our Hamsters if we serve them in small quantities. Cherries have a decent amount of vitamins and minerals, which are essential for the growth and development of our Hamsters.
On the other hand, cherries also contain traces of sugar which can lead to various health problems in our Hamsters, if left unchecked.
Listed below are some of the health concerns that you must take into account:
- Obesity: As cherries contain a decent amount of sugar, it can lead to major health problems in our Hamsters. Therefore, it is important to serve our Hamsters with a low sugar diet.
- Diabetes: Excess calories and sugar will make our Hamsters diabetic in no time. Therefore, it is important to serve cherries to our Hamsters in moderation.
- Diarrhea: Overeating of fruits or vegetables can lead to diarrhea in our Hamsters. Therefore, you must never feed your Hamsters more than the recommended servings.
- Sore Mouth: As cherries are acidic, overfeeding can lead to health problems such as sore mouth in our Hamsters.
- What Fruits Can Hamsters Eat? (Complete List, Serving Size & More)
- What Vegetables Can Hamsters Eat? ( List, Serving size & More )
Are Cherries Beneficial For Our Hamsters?
Cherries prove to be beneficial for our Hamsters when served in limited quantities. Serving in moderation is important in order to prevent health problems.
Listed below are some of the benefits of serving cherries to your Hamsters:
- It Helps Our Hamsters In Improving Digestion: Cherries are rich in natural fiber and other essential minerals responsible for smooth digestion in our Hamsters. As our Hamsters have a sensitive digestive system, they need an adequate amount of fiber in their diet. Also, cherries helps to flush out toxins from our Hamster’s body.
- Cherries Have Cancer-Preventing Properties: Although cancer is very rare in our Hamsters, but there have been cases where Hamsters are known to lose their lives due to cancer.
- Reduces Inflammation: Anthocyanins (a rare compound present in cherries) helps to reduce inflammation in ours Hamsters. Adding cherries to our Hamsters diet will help them reduce inflammation.
Have a look at these amazing Hamster food bowls. My Hamsters loves them, you must give these a try too!
What Part Of Cherries Can Hamsters Eat?
Not all parts of the fruit is edible for our Hamsters. Therefore, it essential to learn everything about it in detail before serving it to your Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Cherry Pits?
Never serve your Hamsters with cherry pits.
Besides choking your Hamsters, these seeds contain traces of cyanide which is toxic for our Hamsters.
Therefore, never forget to deseed the cherry before serving it to your Hamsters.
Have a look at this amazing pit remover which I got from amazon. It saves a lot of time and helps to easily remove the seeds.
Can Hamsters Eat Leaves From The Cherry Tree?
Cherry tree leaves are not suitable for our Hamsters.
The leaves of the cherry trees have small toothed edge, which can prove to be harmful for our Hamster’s throat and body in general.
Also, these leaves contain traces of hydrogen cyanide, which is toxic for our Hamsters. Therefore, it is advised not to serve these leaves to your Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Cherry Tree Branches?
No, we should not provide our Hamsters with cherry tree branches.
These branches contain harmful chemical which can prove to be extremely dangerous for our Hamsters if consumed.
Therefore, we should never serve our Hamsters with cherry tree branches.
Can Hamsters Eat Cherry Blossom?
No, cherry blossom is not edible for our Hamsters.
Just like other parts, cherry blossom also contains traces of cyanide that is poisonous for our Hamsters. Therefore, it is best to avoid serving it to your Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Dried Cherries?
No, dried cherries are not at suitable for our Hamsters.
Researches show that dried fruits contains five time sugar than the regular ones. An excessive consumption of sugar will lead to health problems in our Hamsters.
Therefore, it is advised not to serve your Hamsters with dried cherries.
How Often Can Hamsters Eat Cherries?
Serving your Hamsters with cherries once a week is ideal. It is important to keep the serving in control in order to avoid any kind of health problems.
It is advised to make your Hamster’s feeding schedule in advance.
How Many Cherries Can Hamsters Eat?
Do not serve your Hamster more than a small piece of cherry at a time. Cherries contain an excessive amount of sugar, which is not good for our Hamsters health. It can even lead to problems such as diarrhea and obesity in them.
You must keep in mind that fruits are only a small part of our Hamster’s diet. Therefore, a small serving once in a while is ideal.
Correct Way To Prepare Cherries For Your Hamsters!
It is very easy to prepare cherries for our little ones. However, there are a few things you must keep in mind before doing the same. Follow the steps listed below to prepare cherries for your Hamsters:
- Firstly, choose a fresh and ripe cherry for your Hamsters. Picking up a ripe cherry is a tricky task. You must look for heavy and firm cherries. The cherries must have shiny skin and a fresh stem. Mostly, sour cherry loses its stem as it ripens while stems of sweet cherry remain intact and fresh.
- After picking up the perfect cherry for your Hamsters, wash it thoroughly. This will help to get rid of all the dirt from the skin of the cherry.
- The third step involves removing the seeds of the cherry. Always remove the seed and twig of the fruit before serving it to your Hamsters.
- Now, the cherry is ready to be served to your Hamsters. You can also throw in some veggies with the cherry.
- Lastly, remove all the uneaten parts of the fruit or vegetables after a few hours of serving them. It is important to avoid fly and rats infestation in their cage.
Can Hamsters Drink Cherry Juice?
No, we should not serve our Hamsters with cherry juice.
Fruit juices are terrible for our Hamster’s health. These juices contain a ton of preservatives, added sweeteners, and artificial colors.
Therefore, never serve your Hamsters with cherry juice or any other fruit juice.
Can Hamsters Eat Canned Cherries?
Never feed your Hamsters with canned cherries.
All types of canned food contains an excessive amount of artificial colors, preservative and other chemicals which are bad for our Hamster’s health.
Therefore, you must avoid serving canned food to your Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Frozen Cherries?
Yes, Hamsters can eat frozen cherries. However, bring the cherries to room temperature before serving them to your Hamsters.
Frozen food is extremely bad for our Hamster’s health. It can lead to several digestive complications such as diarrhea in our little ones.
Also, researches show that fresh food is best for our Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Black Cherries?
Yes, you can serve your Hamsters with black cherries. However, remember to serve them in moderation.
Can Hamsters Eat Ground Cherries?
Yes, our Hamsters can eat ground cherries as well. You must keep in mind that overfeeding could lead to health problems in your little ones.
Can Hamsters Eat Bing Cherries?
Our Hamsters can eat Bing cherries but in small quantities only.
Bing cherries contain a decent amount of sugar therefore serving in moderation is the key.
Can Hamsters Eat Red Cherries?
Yes, we can serve red cherries to our Hamsters but in limited quantities.