Crispy and fresh, Cabbage is a superfood that is packed with epitome of beneficial nutrients which makes it a perfect choice for us. But is cabbage the right choice for our Hamsters? Can Hamsters eat cabbage? Let’s find out!
Hamsters can definitely eat cabbage. Cabbage is a rich source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K, followed by a wide range of other nutrients needed by our Hamsters. However, it also contains a decent amount of calcium therefore feeding in moderation is the key. Overeating can even cause kidney stones and diarrhea in Hamsters.
You can either serve the cabbage as it is or serve it with a mix of 3-4 varieties of vegetables so that your Hamsters get a balance of all the nutrients in their diet.
So, now that you know you can feed cabbage to your Hamsters, you might want to know the feeding size and frequency.
However, we first need to understand what are the hazards and benefits before moving to the serving size.
Thus, let us begin by understanding the nutritional composition of cabbage.
Nutrition In Cabbage
- 50 Unique Coloring Designs Of Cute Hamsters
- Only One Design Per Page
- Printed On Good Quality White Paper With Glossy Cover
- Sized At 8.5x11, A Perfect Size To Color And Frame!
- Hours Of Fun And Relaxation For Adults As Well As Kids
Let us look in detail what are the nutritional values of 100 grams of cabbage holds
|Vitamin C||36.6 mg|
|Vitamin A||98 IU|
|Vitamin K||76 mcg|
Cabbage is one such vegetable that has the epitome of nutrients and minerals, which are required for healthy growth in Hamsters.
Vitamin C is critical for the body as it helps in healing. Lack of Vitamin C in Hamsters can lead to a painful disease called scurvy.
Vitamin K is a major requirement for good reproductive health in hamsters. Also, it plays a crucial role by helping in blood clots and prevents excessive bleeding.
Iron is another essential mineral found in cabbage. Iron makes sure the organism has a healthy immune system, as they make the blood healthy and robust.
- What Fruits Can Hamsters Eat?
- What Vegetables Can Hamsters Eat?
- Can Hamsters Eat Pumpkin?
- Why Is My Hamster Always Hiding?
- Why Does My Hamster’s Cage Smell So Bad?
- Top 16 Ways To Keep My Hamster Happy!
Is Cabbage Safe For My Hamsters?
Yes, Cabbage is entirely safe for Hamsters. Remember to serve them in moderation, anything in excess can be bad for our Hamsters.
Though calcium is important for bone formation, excess calcium leads to health complications in Hamsters. It can even cause kidney stones in Hamsters.
Calcium is good for the development of bones and teeth in young and nursing Hamsters but can be a risk factor among adults.
Also, excess consumption of cabbage can lead to bloating and diarrhea in Hamsters.
Health Benefits Of Cabbage
Cabbage makes an excellent diet for our Hamsters. The presence of Vitamin C and Vitamin K in the vegetable is essential for the growth and development of our little ones.
Lack of Vitamin C in our Hamsters diet can cause scurvy. Vitamin K helps in healing wounds and prevents excessive bleeding.
Cabbage also contains Potassium and Phosphorus, which is also crucial for our Hamsters. Potassium helps to maintain consistent blood sugar, whereas phosphorus contributes to managing good health by storing energy, maintaining, and repairing tissue and cells of the body.
Can Hamsters Eat Cabbage Leaves?
Yes, you can definitely serve cabbage leaves to your Hamsters.
In fact, cabbage leaves are very nutritional and contain phytochemicals which are essential for our Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Have Cabbage Core (Stalk)?
Yes, you can serve cabbage core to your Hamsters. However, serving in moderation is the key.
Cabbage core is the woody texture part of the cabbage which holds the leaves together. Although your Hamsters may love the stalk or the stem,but it does not have much nutritional value.
I like to keep it away from my Hamster. However, it is up to you to decide what part of cabbage goes into your Hamster’s food bowl.
How Much Cabbage Can My Hamsters Eat?
If you are introducing Cabbage to your Hamster for the very first time, make sure you give it in small quantities. A large amount of the vegetable at once may cause a disturbance in bowel movements.
One small leaf of cabbage at a time is ideal. You may gradually increase the amount up to 2 small leaves if you see no negative reactions in your Hamsters.
The quantity of cabbage that you serve your Hamsters must be controlled as it can lead to various health complications. It can cause bloating and diarrhea.
You can also serve one cup of vegetable with a mix of 3-4 varieties so that your Hamsters get a balance of all the nutrients in their diet.
Also, Hamsters that have a past record of calcium traces in their urine or the ones suffering from bladder stone should not be fed cabbage. Although sparse feeding will not harm much, it would be wise to avoid it.
Correct Way To Prepare Cabbage For My Hamsters!
There are some steps you need to follow while preparing cabbage for your Hamsters. Let’s discuss those steps briefly:
- The first step involves finding an organic cabbage for your Hamsters. Avoid buying vegetables from the local vegetable store for your Hamsters. Vegetables bought from local stores are often sprayed with chemicals or pesticides, which can be toxic for our Hamsters.
- Choose a fresh cabbage for your Hamster and remove the outermost leaf. Also, make sure that the vegetable has no bruises
- Then, wash the vegetable properly with warm water, this will help to kill the germs.
- Now, slit the cabbage in half and separate the stalk. Taking out 1 leaf from it.
- Chop the vegetable into small pieces, this will help your Hamster to eat the vegetable more efficiently.
- You can either serve the cabbage as it is or mix it with other vegetables to make a health treat for your Hamsters.
- After a few hours, we must make sure that all the uneaten food is taken out of the cage.
Check out this amazing tip-proof Hamster food bowl, I got from Amazon! It is designed with a smooth bottom that prevents food deposits and bacterial growth.
How Often Can Hamsters Eat Cabbage?
Cabbage should not be served daily. You can serve this vegetable 3-4 times a week.
Although cabbage is an excellent source of Vitamin C and Vitamin K, eating in excess can lead to digestive complication in Hamsters.
Excess cabbage can lead to bladder stones, bloating, and diarrhea in Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Red Cabbage/Purple Cabbage?
Yes, you can serve red cabbage to your Hamsters.
However, the serving size should be moderated in order to avoid health complications. This type of cabbage in an excellent source of Vitamin C.
Can Hamsters Eat Chinese Cabbage/Napa Cabbage?
You should avoid feeding Chinese cabbage to your Hamsters.
Although this type of cabbage is rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin C, but the high calcium content makes it the wrong choice for our Hamsters. However, it is best to serve only the leaves as stalks are somewhat hard in this cabbage
Can Hamsters Eat White Cabbage?
Yes, you can feed white cabbage to your Hamsters. It makes an excellent choice for your Hamsters.
White cabbage is rich in Vitamin C and dietary fiber, and at the same time, it is low in calcium as well.
Can Hamsters Eat Savoy Cabbage?
Yes, you can serve savoy cabbage to your Hamsters. Mostly all Hamsters love the texture and crunchy taste of savoy cabbage.
Also, this type of cabbage is rich in Vitamin C and Vitamin A, which is essential for our Hamster’s health and development. It can be fed to Hamsters suffering from urinary tract infection (UTI) for aiding them in recovery.
Can Hamsters Eat Cavolo Nero Cabbage?
Yes, Hamsters can eat cavolo nero cabbage but in small quantities.
This type of cabbage is rich in Vitamin C and antioxidants, which is really beneficial for our Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Sweetheart Cabbage?
Yes, you can serve sweetheart cabbage to your Hamsters but only in small quantities.
This type of cabbage is extremely rich in Vitamin K, Vitamin C, and Folate, which are crucial for the good health of our Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Raw Cabbage?
Yes, Hamsters can eat raw cabbage. Cabbage should be served to your Hamsters in raw form only. Cooked cabbage is bad for our Hamsters health as it can disrupt their digestive system.
- Hamsters can eat cabbage but the key is to serve it in moderation to avoid health issues in Hamsters.
- Cabbage is a rich source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K, followed by a wide range of other nutrients needed by our Hamsters.
- Overeating can lead to kidney stones, bloating, and diarrhea in Hamsters.
- 1-2 small leaves 3 times a week is ideal.
- Hamsters can eat a wide variety of cabbage including Red, Green, Savoy, Sweetheart, and Napa. Although you must avoid Chinese cabbage entirely as it is high in calcium.