As Hamsters are not verbal, it may take you a while to understand their body language. Most Hamster owners often wonder whether their little ones love them or not? So, here is what it means.
As Hamsters are prey animals, they have a survival instinct in their nature due to which tend to be afraid of us when we first get them. However, with passing time, we can build a strong bond with them. Running around our feet, head nudges, climbing on to us are some of the common signs of affection by a Hamster.
Although each Hamster has a unique personality, most of them are affectionate by nature.
It is very important for you to be very kind and affectionate while doing their day to day stuff because they do have emotions and seek love, affection, and attention.
Are Hamsters Affectionate Pets?
Although there are times when our Hamsters behave extremely mood and undisciplined, still they can prove themselves to be deserving of being loved and care for.
Hamsters have a survival instinct in their nature due to which they are scared of human beings. They are scared by our large size and structure.
However, the same might not be the case with the pets who have been in and around humans right from their birth.
With time and patience, you can definitely build a strong relationship with your Hamsters. Just show them plenty of love and kindness.
How To Gain Your Hamster’s Trust?
Even though Hamsters are docile animals, they can get upset quickly if they are not treated correctly.
You must make a very healthy bond with your Hamster and make it feel like it is a part of your family. To gain your Hamster’s trust you need to do the following things:
- Let them be comfortable around you: Sit on the ground and let your Hamsters approach you, try not to do sudden movements as they do not like it.
- Let them remain on the ground: Since they do not like unnecessary or sudden movements, try to leave them on the ground and avoid picking them up.
- Some do not like to be cuddled: Some Hamsters do not like to be hugged or cuddled. So make sure that you hug or cuddle your Hamsters only if it likes it.
- Attention: Hamsters do need proper attention from their owners. If you have a busy life and do not have a lot of time for your pet, consider sharing the responsibility with one of your family members.
- Give them a treat once a while: Consider giving them their favorite food once a while, but remember to take care of their health and not overdo it.
- Constant routine: Try to make a daily routine and to follow it as much as possible because Hamsters do not like sudden change. It might even degrade their health.
Why Does My Hamster Stare At Me?
You might get a little startled or uncomfortable if you notice your Hamster staring at you. There are various reasons behind the same. Some of them are:
- Food: Your Hamster might stare at you if they are hungry and want food.
- Joy: If your Hamster is happy, it might stare at you while they are relaxing.
- Threats: Hamsters often stare when they find something peculiar near their surroundings. They often gaze to confirm that the predators cannot sneak up on them or you.
- Curiosity: Hamsters are very curious pets. They might look at you just to know what you are doing.
- Senses: Hamsters have an amazing sense of hearing and smell. They can hear you come from a distance and will start looking at you to see whether you react or not.
Observe your Hamster intently, if you ever notice them staring at you. It is essential to notice their body language to understand their intention.
To learn more about your Hamster staring behavior, have a look at this article, ‘Why Does My Hamster Stare AT Me?‘
Why Does My Hamster Climb On Me?
Your Hamster might climb on you for several reasons. It can be taken as a sign of affection. It might also climb on you as a stepping tool, and look for predators nearby.
If your Hamster is trying to continuously climb on you, try to not lift it or cuddle it as it might scare them.
Each Hamster has a unique personality, some are just curious while others prefer to live and roam around on flat surfaces only.
A Few Best Climbing Toys For Your Hamsters:
Why Does My Hamster Dig On Me?
Hamsters have a common habit of burrowing. It might dig on you due to the following reasons:
- Wants to go away: Your Hamster might want to roam somewhere else or want to urinate. In these cases, your Hamster might try to dig on you.
- Wants to dig a hole in your clothes: Since Hamsters are very curious animals, they might want to dig a hole in your clothes, so it is always a good idea to put your hamster down when they are trying to dig on you.
Like climbing, digging is another way for Hamsters to show their love and affection.
Do Hamsters Love Their Owners?
Hamsters do their owners. Though it might take some time for your Hamsters to recognize you as an owner but once they do, they will show its affection towards you. It will always be happy to hop into your hands and let you cuddle them.
Try to spend your time with your Hamster as much as possible so that they recognize you as the owner. Always remember that they are also a part of your family now.
How To Show Your Hamster You Love Them?
To show your Hamster that you love them, you need to gain their trust and give them a sense of pleasure and belongingness. These things can be achieved by the following methods:
- By petting them: By properly petting your Hamster, you can find them purring.
- By playing with them: Learning what games your Hamster enjoys and enjoying a good playtime can make them love you.
- By grooming them: Grooming your Hamster may give them a special feeling of happiness, which is required if you want them to love you.
- By giving them treats: Once a while treat your Hamster with their favorite foods, they will enjoy it a lot.
However, you must keep in mind that in order to achieve the following, do not make your Hamster uncomfortable in any way.
How Do Hamsters Show Affection To Humans?
Observe your Hamster closely and look how your Hamster behaves when you are around. This will help you understand what they feel about you.
If you Hamster is happy, they will run around you, or even climb on to you. Sometimes Hamsters nudge their owners with their heads, this is a sign of dominance as well as affection.
By doing these, they might be trying to communicate with you to pet them. These are some of the common signs that you have bonded with your little friend pretty well.
- Why Doesn’t My Hamster Like Me?
- Top 12 Ways To Keep Your Hamsters Warm In Winters!
- How Much Time Should You Spend With Your Hamster?
- Why Is My Hamster Always Hiding? (Reasons+What To Do)
Do Hamsters Like To Be Petted?
Although Hamsters like to be petted but it is important for you to know how and when to pet your Hamsters. Also, if you do not pet them gently they might try to bite you.
For the first few days, try to make them comfortable. Once they are comfortable, you can hold them gently with your hands, but make sure that your hands are clean.
Are Hamsters Cuddly?
Hamsters do like to be cuddled. Even though they may not like you or any other human at first but if you know when and how to cuddle your Hamsters, they enjoy it a lot.
Cuddling is a way to show your love for your Hamster. Hamsters feel that they are given attention and taken care of when you cuddle them.