Lychees are an excellent source of Vitamin C and sugar, which makes it equally beneficial and harmful. Hamsters need a balanced diet to live a healthy life. So, it is evident for Hamster owners to wonder, can their little ones eat Lychees? If yes, Is it safe for them?
As a curious Hamster owner, I did some research, and here is what I have learned.
Hamsters can eat Lychees but in small quantities. Lychees are rich in Vitamin c and other vital nutrients that help our Hamsters to stay healthy and fit. However, as Lychees also contains a lot of natural sugar, we should only serve a small piece, once a week, to avoid any possible health issues.
Lychees can’t be served daily to our Hamsters as they contain a good amount of sugar, which can lead to various health issues like diarrhea, bloating, etc. in our little ones.
With that out of the way, you must be thinking about how often you can feed Lychees to our Hamsters and the benefits and hazards of serving Lychees to our Hamsters.
Don’t worry; we have everything covered for you from top to bottom. Let’s dive into more details.
Nutrition In Lychees?
Let us look in detail what are the nutritional values of 100 grams of Lychee holds.
|Vitamin C||71.5g/ 100 g|
|Calcium||5 mg/ 100 g|
|Phosphorus||31 mg/ 100 g|
|Potassium||171 mg/ 100 g|
|Sugar||15.23 g/ 100 g|
|Protein||0.83 g/ 100 g|
|Fat||0.44 g/ 100 g|
|Water||81.76g/ 100 g|
Lychee is once such fruit which contains an epic measure of Vitamin C in it. Vitamin C is critical for the body as it helps in healing.
Potassium is important for retention of water in the body that helps prevent stone formation.
Calcium is needed for the formation and growth of bones and tissues in the body.
Copper is another mineral found in Lychees, which can help our Hamsters body to improve blood circulation.
Overall, Lychees helps in strengthening the immune system boost overall health and prevents various diseases like cancer, tumors, etc.
Are Hamsters Allergic To Lychees?
No, Hamsters are not allergic to Lychees.
However, overfeeding can also lead to allergic reactions.
If you are introducing Lychees to your Hamster for the first time be sure you are feeding it in a small amount.
Do not be surprised if your Hamsters do not like them. It’s alright. Not everyone loves everything to eat. Most of the Hamsters do like it but the others do not enjoy it much.
You must observe your Hamster closely after feeding them lychee for the first time.
My Favorites From Amazon. Check Them Out:
Do Hamsters Like Lychees?
While some Hamsters love to munch on Lychees, others don’t enjoy it much. It varies from Hamsters to Hamsters.
However, if you wonder whether your Hamster would like to eat Lychees or not, I would suggest you to give it a try.
Start by introducing a small piece, gradually you may increase the quantity.
Are Lychees Toxic For My Hamsters?
No, Lychees are not toxic to Hamsters if fed in moderation
Anything in excess is always bad. Excess intake of Lychees can cause some significant problems to our Hamsters such as:
- Digestion problems: Lychees contain a high amount of sugar level, which can cause some severe health issues including diarrhea and other gastrointestinal problems.
- Weight gaining: All the carbohydrates can lead to obesity in Hamsters. Gaining weight can make them lazy and slow their metabolism.
- Diabetes: All the extra sugar and carbohydrates can make your Hamsters diabetic. Due to weak digestion, Hamsters cannot digest excess sugar and carbs, which can make them uncomfortable.
So, it is better to serve Lychees to our Hamsters in moderation.
Can Hamsters Eat Lychee Skin?
No, you should not feed Lychee skin to your Hamsters.
The rough texture of the skin can be difficult for Hamsters to digest.
If it gets stuck in your Hamster’s throat, it can choke them.
Can Hamsters Eat Lychee Seeds?
The flesh of the fruit has an oval-shaped hard seed. You should never feed these seeds to your Hamsters.
Many of us think as lychee seeds are hard it may help the hamsters with their teeth. This is untrue.
Serving your hamsters with Lychee seeds can be a life-threatening situation. It can even sometimes choke them to death.
Can Hamsters Eat Lychee Leaves?
Avoid feeding lychee seeds to your little ones.
There is no concrete evidence about whether Hamsters can eat lychee leaves or not. Therefore, it is advised to be on the safer side and do not feed them with the leaves.
Correct Way To Feed Lychees To My Hamsters!
It is very easy to prepare Lychees for our Hamsters. Have a look at the steps listed below :
- Firstly, find your Hamsters some organic Lychees. Fruits bought from the local fruit shop often contains sprayed chemicals or pesticides, it can prove to be toxic for our little ones.
- Choose a fresh Lychee for your Hamster. Make sure it has no bruises.
- Soak the Lychee in water for one hour before serving it to your Hamsters.
- Now, peel the outer layer of the fruit. Then, separate the flesh from the seed.
- Tear the flesh into small portions, this will help your Hamster to eat the fruit more efficiently.
- You can also mix the flesh with other fruits to make it more nutritious and delicious. But, keep a check on the quantity, do not overfeed.
- Lastly, remove all the uneaten fruit once your Hamster is done.
How Often Should We Feed Lychees To Our Hamsters?
Your Hamsters can be served with Lychees once in a week. Do not feed more than that, or it could effect your Hamster’s health.
For example, if you serve lychee on Sunday, it will be best you give another one on next Sunday.
Lychees are high in sugar and water. Serving in excess can be harmful for Hamsters.
- Can Hamsters Drink Milk?
- Sand Bath Guide For Hamsters
- Why Doesn’t My Hamster Like Me?
- What Fruits Can Hamsters Eat?
- What Vegetables Can Hamsters Eat?
How Many Lychees Can Hamsters Eat At A Time?
The flesh of one lychee at a time is ideal for Hamsters. Tear them into tiny pieces before serving it to your Hamsters.
As Lychees are mainly made up of carbs and water, Hamsters will not be able to digest it if fed in excess. A large amount of water and sugar is difficult for Hamsters to digest.
But, it is safe for our Hamsters when fed in moderation. If you are introducing the fruit to your Hamster for the first time you have to keep certain points in mind.
- It is always advised to do a taste test before adding it to the regular diet of your Hamsters. Begin by giving them a tiny portion of the fruit.
- Now, look for how your Hamsters react to it. If you see no negative reactions within 24 hours, then you are good to go.
- On the other hand, if you suspect any negative reactions, take the fruit out from their diet.
- If you have suspicions about your Hamster’s health, take them to a vet.
My Hamster Ate Too Many Lychees
If you have fed your Hamster with excess Lychees, look for the following reactions:
- Discolored and foul-smelling urine.
- Loss of appetite.
- Allergic reactions.
In case your Hamsters have any of the above symptoms, it is advised to them to the vet as soon as possible.
Can Hamsters Eat Canned Lychees?
You should not feed canned Lychees to your Hamsters.
Canned Lychees are filled with artificial sweeteners and preservatives, which are harmful to Hamsters.
Canned lychee are nothing but, peeled & seedless lychees with water, extra sugar, and citric acid. Thus, it must be avoided at all costs.
It is always best to avoid your Hamsters with fresh Lychees. This will help them to benefit the most from the fruit.
Can Hamsters Have Lychee Juice?
No, you should never feed Lychees juice to your Hamsters. Lychee juice can be a toxic beverage for your little ones.
Lychee juice has a high amount of sugar, which can be harmful to your Hamsters. It can also cause digestive problems and make your Hamsters diabetic. Also, the excess water can cause diarrhea in Hamsters.
It is best to avoid feeding them with the Lychee juice. You would surely not want to risk your little friend’s life.