Eggs are superfoods that have a lot of health benefits. It is widely consumed all around the globe. So, it is obvious for owners to wonder, can Hamsters eat eggs? Is it safe for them? I did some research, and here is what I have learned.
Eggs make an excellent treat for Hamsters. They are packed with protein and other vital nutrients that have a lot of health benefits. Plain boiled or scrambled eggs are the best for our Hamster. Avoid serving your Hamsters with raw eggs. Serving in moderation is important to avoid any health complications.
If your Hamster has any kind of digestive disorder or is obese, you should avoid feeding them with all the forms of eggs. The fragile digestive system of our Hamsters cannot handle complex carbohydrates and fats well.
Now, there must a lot of questions popping in your mind regarding the kinds of egg you can serve your Hamsters, the frequency of serves, and a lot more. So, I would suggest you read till the end to learn all about it.
Nutrition In Eggs
Let us look in detail the nutritional values of 100 grams of hard-boiled egg.
|Total lipid (fat)
|Carbohydrate, by the difference
|Sugars, total including NLEA
|Vitamin A, RAE
|Vitamin D (D2 + D3)
|Fatty acids, total saturated
So, now we know the nutritional value of eggs, let us learn more about the good and bad sides of feeding eggs to our Hamsters.
To learn more about the fruits and vegetables you can and cannot feed your Hamsters, refer to the articles linked below:
- What Fruits Can Hamsters Eat? (Complete List, Serving Size & More)
- What Vegetables Can Hamsters Eat? ( List, Serving size & More )
Is Egg Good For Hamsters?
Eggs are packed with essential nutrients, which provide a lot of health benefits to our Hamsters. Some of the common health benefits of eggs for our Hamsters include:
- Rich In Vitamins: Eggs are rich in Vitamin A, B, and D. These vitamins have a lot of health benefits for our Hamsters. Vitamin A helps to maintain eyesight in our Hamsters. Vitamin B helps to keep their fur soft and shiny. Vitamin D aid the immune system in our little ones.
- Packed With Antioxidants: Antioxidants present in eggs helps to resist infection in our Hamster’s body. It also helps to reduce the risk of certain diseases in them.
- Rich In Iron: Iron present in eggs helps to maintain a robust digestive system. This, in turn, helps to prevent anemia in our Hamsters. Besides this, iron also helps in transporting oxygen throughout the body.
- Excellent Source Of Protein: Eggs are packed with proteins, which helps our Hamster’s body to build and repair essential tissues. Besides this, it also aids to make enzymes, hormones, and other chemicals in the body.
- Presence Of Calcium: Eggs contain a decent amount of calcium. Consumption of calcium promotes stronger bones and teeth in our Hamsters.
Is Egg Bad For Hamsters?
Eggs are totally safe for our Hamsters if we serve them in moderation. Also, the type of eggs we serve our Hamsters is important.
Listed below are some of the common health problems that can be caused by overfeeding of eggs to our Hamsters:
- Obesity: Eggs are rich in protein, but at the same time it also contains traces of fats. Serving them in moderation is fine. However, overfeeding might result in unusual weight gain and obesity in the long run.
- Urinary Problems: Eggs contain a decent amount of calcium. Overconsumption of calcium results in several urinary problems in our Hamsters. It might also cause bladder stones in them.
- Diarrhea: Hamsters have a weak and sensitive digestive system. Overconsumption or introduction of new food abruptly can lead to diarrhea in our Hamsters. Therefore, make sure that you introduce new food slowly and in small quantities.
- Chronic Diseases: Eggs contain a reasonable amount of fat in them. Consumption of excess amounts of fats might result in heart diseases or heart attacks. Therefore, it is important to provide them with a proper diet plan.
- Biotin Deficiency: Consumption of raw eggs will lead to biotin (a B-vitamin) deficiency in our little ones. This could further result in several health problems such as dull coats, lethargy, and skin allergies.
Have a look at these amazing Hamster seed mix which I got from amazon. My Hamster loves them, yours will love it too!
Can Hamsters Eat Raw Eggs?
Although some sources say that raw eggs are safe for Hamsters, it is best to avoid feeding them with raw eggs. Veterinarians say that the risk of feeding raw eggs to our Hamsters outweighs the benefits.
There are high chances that raw eggs may contaminate with certain bacteria. When consumed, it might transfer several deadly infections in our Hamsters, including Salmonella and E.coli. These infections might sometimes be hard to treat.
Consumption of raw eggs also leads to biotin (a B-vitamin) deficiencies in our Hamsters. Therefore, it is best to avoid serving them with raw eggs.
Can Hamsters Eat Egg Shells?
We should not serve our Hamsters with eggshells. Although the shells are low in calories and high in proteins, it contains an excess amount of calcium.
Overconsumption of calcium can lead to several health problems in our Hamsters, including bladder stones, sludgy urines, and other kidney problems.
Besides this, on breaking, the sharp edges of the eggshells might cut the inner parts of our Hamster’s mouth and throat. It might even lead to choking hazards in our little ones.
Can Hamsters Eat Egg Yolk?
We should avoid feeding raw egg yolk to our Hamsters. There is no such nutritional benefit as feeding raw egg yolks to the Hamsters.
Also, consumption of raw egg yolks might lead to the growth of certain bacteria in our Hamsters. Therefore, the best option is to avoid serving them with raw egg yolks.
Can Hamsters Eat Boiled Egg Yolk?
Hamsters can eat boiled egg yolk but in small quantities only. Egg yolks are high in calories and rich in fats, which makes them a limiting factor. A small piece once in a while is ideal for them.
However, there are high chances that your Hamster will not like its taste. If your Hamster is not willing to eat, never force any food on them.
Can Hamsters Eat Cooked Eggs?
Hamsters can be served with cooked eggs once in a while. Cooked eggs are much better for our Hamsters than raw eggs. Cooking reduces the spread of infections.
However, it also depends on the way you cook eggs for your Hamsters. Boiled or scrambled eggs without any additives makes the best choice for our Hamsters.
You must keep in mind that, whether cooked or uncooked, eggs have a high-fat content. Therefore, it is important to serve in moderation. A small slice of the cooked egg would be ideal for your Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Boiled Eggs?
Boiled eggs make an excellent treat for our Hamsters. Both hard-boiled and soft-boiled eggs are safe for our Hamsters to consume.
Do not over boil the eggs. Over boiling will lead to a loss of several essential nutrients. Also, serving in moderation is important.
Can Hamsters Eat Soft-Boiled Eggs?
Hamsters can eat soft-boiled eggs. It has a lot of health benefits for our Hamsters. However, do not serve them more than the advised quantity.
Can Hamsters Eat Hard-Boiled Eggs?
Hamsters can be served with hard-boiled eggs once in a while. Eggs in the boiled form are the best for our Hamsters. A small slice at a time would be ideal for them.
Can Hamsters Eat Egg White?
Cooked egg whites make an excellent treat for our Hamsters. It contains tones of protein, which is essential for the healthy growth and development of our Hamsters.
Raw egg whites are not safe for our Hamsters to consume. It can even cause dietary imbalances in our little ones. Therefore, never serve your Hamsters with raw egg whites.
Can Hamsters Eat Fried Eggs?
Never serve your Hamsters with fried eggs. The oil and butter of the fried eggs can lead to adverse health problems in our little ones. Consumption of fried food can even choke our little ones to death.
Can Hamsters Eat Scotch Eggs?
We should never feed our Hamsters with scotch eggs. Scotch eggs contain a lot of oil and salt, making them an unhealthy choice for our Hamsters. Processed food can lead to several health problems in our little ones.
Can Hamsters Eat Scrambled Eggs?
Scrambled eggs make an excellent treat for the Hamsters. Add their favorites veggies to the eggs to make it even more nutritious.
Do not add any additives such as butter, milk, oil, or even salt while cooking eggs for your Hamsters. Also, portion control is the key to a healthy life.
Can Hamsters Eat Poached Eggs?
Hamsters can be served with poached eggs once in a while. However, serve them with unsalted and unflavored eggs only. Eggs boiled in any other liquid than water can prove to be quite dangerous for our Hamsters.
How Much Egg Can A Hamster Eat?
A small slice of the boiled egg or a tablespoon of the scrambled eggs is ideal for our Hamsters at a time. Even though the egg is highly nutritious and has several health benefits for our Hamsters, overfeeding can cause serious health complications.
How Often Can Hamsters Eat Eggs?
A small slice of the egg once a week is a perfect choice for our Hamsters. Anything more than that is not advisable at all.
You can also bring a variation to your Hamster’s diet by mixing eggs with a few other healthy vegetables such as lettuce, zucchini, and broccoli. This will make a healthy and delicious meal for your Hamsters.
- Seeds For Hamsters: Safe & Unsafe Seeds
- Signs That Tell Your Hamster Is Sad (+How To Cheer Them Up)
- How Often Should I Feed My Hamster? (Owner’s Guide)
- Why Is My Hamster Trying to Escape? (How To Stop Them + What To Do)
- Why Is My Hamster Scared Of Me?
Correct Way To Feed Eggs To My Hamsters!
The best option is to serve our Hamsters with plain boiled or scrambled eggs. Any other form of egg is not suitable for consumption by our Hamsters. Also, it is advised to serve your Hamsters with eggs from organic farms only.
Cook the eggs in plain water without using oil, salt, seasoning, spices, or any other additives. You can mix the eggs with a few Hamster safe vegetables. However, do not end up overfeeding them.
You can prepare eggs for your Hamsters in a microwave oven as well. Follow the steps listed below to easily prepare eggs for your Hamsters in a microwave:
- Break an egg in a container and add 1 teaspoon of milk to it. You can skip the milk
- The second step is to mix the egg using a fork or a spoon.
- Transfer the mixture to a microwave-safe container.
- Then, microwave it for about 30 seconds.
- After 30 seconds, take out the container and give it a good mix. Then, keep it back to the microwave.
- Repeat the process till the eggs are completely done.
The process is quite straightforward and easy. Do not do the mistake of serving your Hamsters with hot eggs. Make sure that the eggs are completely cooled down before serving them to your Hamsters.
Also, if you are introducing eggs to your Hamsters for the very first time, keep an eye on them. Observe them intently and look if they show any kind of negative reactions.
If your Hamster does not show any discomfort, you are good to go. You must keep in mind that eggs should be served to your Hamsters as treats only. Do not make it a part of their regular diet.
Have a look at these amazing chew toys which I got from amazon. My Hamster loves them, yours will love it too!
Can Hamsters Eat Bird Eggs?
Hamsters can eat most bird eggs. However, it is important to gather enough information about the nutrition content of the eggs before serving them to the Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Duck Eggs?
A small slice of the boiled duck eggs is fine for our Hamsters. It is highly nutritious and has a lot of health benefits for our Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Quail Eggs?
Hamsters can be served with quail eggs. A small piece once in a while is ideal for them. However, it is best to serve them with egg white only.
Can Hamsters Eat Egg Fried Rice?
Egg fried rice is not safe for consumption by our Hamsters. Consumption of such food might result in several health problems such as diarrhea, obesity, bloating, and more.
Can Hamsters Eat Egg Noodles?
You can let your Hamster nibble on unflavored egg noodles once in a while. Although noodles are not toxic for our Hamsters, it does not provide them with any nutritional benefit. Therefore, it is best to avoid serving them with egg noodles.