Herbs are an excellent addition to our Hamster’s diet, provided they are safe for them. I clearly remember I had some basil plants in my backyard. This made me think can Hamsters eat basil? Is it safe for them? So, this is what I have learned.
Hamsters can surely eat basil. Basil is packed with several essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, which help the Hamsters fight various diseases. However, due to the presence of a decent amount of calcium, serving in moderation is important. Overfeeding might lead to urinary complications in them.
Always make sure you don’t throw in a lot at once or it might be bad for our Hamsters.
Therefore, adding basil to our Hamster’s diet is a good idea, but it has some side effects too. You must learn everything about this herb before tossing it in. So, without any delay, let’s get right into it.
Do Hamsters Like To Eat Basil?
Each Hamster has a different taste preference. Some Hamsters love to munch on basil, while others just hate it. If you want to check if your little one likes it, serve them a small piece and see how they react to it.
Some Hamsters might even have an allergic reaction to consuming basil, so if you see any adverse effects, you should immediately stop serving it to them and visit a vet.
While serving basil to your Hamsters, you need to keep in mind a few things, to ensure that your Hamster is safe. Some of these things include:
- Serving it to your Hamster in a small amount, when serving it for the first time.
- Make a note of how your Hamster reacts for the next few hours.
- If you see any adverse effects then you should immediately stop serving it to them.
Have a look at these bestselling Hamster Water bottles from Amazon. My Hamster loves it, yours will love it too!
Are Hamsters Allergic To Basil?
Most of the Hamsters are not allergic to basil. Basil is an excellent choice for your Hamster’s diet. It is a nutritious herb, as it contains a lot of essential vitamins, minerals, and even some antioxidants.
Few Hamsters are allergic to basil, and yours might be too. To check if your Hamster is allergic to basil, you should serve it to them in a small amount when serving the first time and keep them under close observation.
If you see any allergic effects, remove it from their diet immediately.
Are Hamsters Allowed To Eat Basil?
Hamsters are allowed to eat basil but only in moderate quantities. It is nutritious for our Hamster as it contains Vitamin K, calcium, phosphorus, and other vital nutrients as well. Although basil has so many nutrients, it has some hazards for our Hamsters. Some of them are as follows:
- Digestive Problems: Overfeeding basil to your Hamsters might lead to several digestive problems in our Hamsters. This is because of dietary fibers, which usually benefit their digestive system, but overfeeding might lead to the opposite.
- Urinary Problems: Basil is rich in calcium and phosphorus, which helps in keeping their bones and tissues strong. However, overfeeding might lead to a lot of problems. Excess calcium might lead to the formation of bladder stones, while too much phosphorus might lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and constipation.
Hence, even though Hamsters are allowed to eat basil, do not overfeed it to them at all.
Health Benefits Of Basils To Our Hamsters!
There are several benefits of serving basils to your Hamsters in a moderate quantity. Some of the benefits of feeding basils to your Hamsters are as follows:
- Heals Wounds: Basil is rich in Vitamin C, which helps in keeping the immune system strong. It also fastens the process of wound healing.
- Healthier Bones And Tissues: Basil contains a decent amount of calcium and phosphorus, which helps in increasing our Hamster’s bone strength.
- Presence Of Antioxidants: Basil contains a lot of antioxidants along with other nutrients. These antioxidants help in keeping your Hamster healthy.
- Prevents Heart Diseases: Basil contains dietary fibers and potassium, which helps to maintain the health of our Hamster’s heart. It also keeps the blood pressure and cholesterol level in control.
- Boosts The Immunity System: Basil contains many nutrients like Vitamin C, Vitamin K, potassium, calcium, which makes sure that our Hamster’s immunity system is strong enough to fight diseases.
- Improves Eyesight: Basil has a decent amount of Vitamin A and beta carotene, which improves your Hamster’s eyesight.
- Prevents Scurvy: Basil contains a decent amount of Vitamin C, which is essential for our Hamsters. Scurvy is a very common disease in Hamsters, which is caused by a deficiency of Vitamin C.
Can Hamsters Eat Basil Leaves?
Hamsters can eat basil leaves without any problems.
It is essential to wash them properly before serving them to your Hamsters. This makes sure that all the chemicals and foreign particles get washed away.
Make sure that you do not overfeed it to your Hamsters, since it might lead to some digestion problems.
Can Hamsters Eat Basil Flowers?
Hamsters can eat basil flowers too. Flowers are often more attractive to our Hamsters and they enjoy eating them too. Most of the time, basil flowers are sweet but sometimes they are a little bitter. So your Hamster might love it or hate it.
Feeding basil flowers in moderation will make sure that your Hamster is healthy.
Can Hamsters Eat Basil Stems?
Hamsters can eat basil stems. It is rich in Vitamin C, which is important for our Hamsters. However, it contains a lot of calcium, which is harmful if overfed to your Hamsters.
Therefore, it is important to serve basil stems in a moderate quantity so that they can eat them without any problems.
- Why Is My Hamster Sneezing So Much?
- How To Calm Down A Stressed Hamster? (You Must Know)
- Can My Hamsters Chew On Tree Branches? (Safe Wood+Unsafe Wood)
- How Long Can I Leave My Hamster Alone? (A Day, Week & More)
- Can Hamsters Vomit? Why Hamsters Can’t Throw Up!
How Much Basil Can I Feed My Hamsters?
You can feed one or two basil leaves at a time to your Hamsters. It is recommended to mix it with a few other veggies to make sure that their diet is balanced.
You should not feed basil to your Hamsters more than 1 or 2 times a week. Overfeeding might lead to health problems in our Hamsters.
Correct Way To Feed Basils To Our Hamsters?
It is an easy process to prepare basil for your Hamsters. It is essential to feed basils to your Hamsters in the correct way.
Here are some of the steps that you need to follow to prepare basils for our Hamsters:
- The first and foremost step is to choose a green and fresh basil for your Hamsters.
- Wash the basil for your Hamsters properly. This makes sure that all the chemicals sprayed over basils are washed off properly.
- Chop it into small pieces so that your Hamster can eat it easily, and there are no chances of choking.
- You can mix the basil with some other veggies to make sure that their diet is balanced.
- The last step is to remove all the uneaten parts after your Hamster has enjoyed eating their veggies. This is essential as it prevents bacteria build-up, in and around the cage.
Have a look at this bestselling Hamster Food Bowls from Amazon. My Hamster loves it, yours will love it too!
Can Hamsters Eat Fresh Basil?
Hamsters can eat fresh basil without any problems. It is recommended to serve fresh basil over any other forms since fresh and raw basil is much easier for your Hamsters to digest.
Even though it is very beneficial do not overfeed it, since it might lead to several problems.
Can Hamsters Eat Dried Basil?
Hamsters can eat dried basil once in a while. Make sure that is does not have any added preservatives or flavorings to it.
Can Hamsters Eat Sweet Basil?
Hamsters can surely eat sweet basil. Like every other food, it important to serve in moderation to avoid health problems.