Water is essential for all living beings. To stay active, it is important for Hamsters to stay hydrated. Dehydration can be a major cause of concern for most Hamster owners but how long can my Hamsters go without water? Let’s find out!
If your Hamster has not sipped any water for 24-48 hours, then their life is at risk. Not drinking water for an extended period, can lead to dehydration and organ failures in them. If you have any doubt about your Hamster’s health, then it is advised to take them to a vet.
If your Hamster is disinterested in drinking water, then you should try to find out the reason behind the same.
Also, if you have to leave your Hamster alone for a few days, set up multiple water bottles in their cage.
Now, let us learn more about the importance of water in our little one’s life.
Can Hamsters Live Without Water?
No, Hamsters cannot live without water. Like for every other living thing, water is a necessity for our Hamsters.
If your Hamster has not sipped any water since a long time, their life may be at risk.
Sometimes, physical and mental trauma can be a cause of your Hamster not drinking water. It is advisable to take your Hamsters to the vet in such cases.
There have been cases where dehydration led to organ failures in Hamsters. Also, stress in Hamsters can decrease their water intake. Calm down your Hamsters in such cases.
Also Read: Why Is My Hamster Drinking So Much Water?
How Long Does It Take For A Hamster To Die Of Dehydration?
Any Hamster can love up to 24 hours without water. However, if you live in a humid region, this period decreases.
Water is a necessity for all Hamsters. Lack of water in a Hamsters body can be a life-threatening situation.
Also, there is a great difference between drinking little water not drinking water at all. If your Hamster is not drinking water at all, there is an immediate risk.
Dehydration can even take our Hamster’s life. Therefore, it is very important to keep an eye on their water intake.
Here are some of my favorites leak-proof water bottles from Amazon. Check them out!
Why Is My Hamster Not Drinking Water?
There can be several reasons due to which a Hamster might stop drinking water.
It is very important to monitor your Hamster’s water intake. To do so, you can even use water bottles with marked water levels.
It is a matter of concern if your Hamster is not drinking water at all. Take your Hamster to the vet in such cases. Do not do the mistake of letting your Hamster recover on their own.
Also Read: Why Is My Hamster Not Drinking Water?
Leaking Water Bottle
Leaking water bottles is one of the most common problems faced by most Hamster owners.
There are three major causes that can lead to leak in your Hamster’s water bottle. The causes are as follows:
- No vacuum can lead to leaking water bottles. You have to be very careful while picking up the bottle for your Hamster. Some brands of bottles do not provide a gasket, which is important to sustain a vacuum.
- Sometimes a bottle also leaks due to improper maintenance. You should clean the bottle properly. If the food particles are stuck in the nozzle, the bottle can leak.
- In some cases, your Hamster might be the cause of leaking water bottles. Some Hamsters tend to chew their water bottle’s nozzle, which can lead to the water leaking.
Frozen Water Bottle
During winter, many Hamster owners face the problem of frozen water bottle. Water in our Hamster’s water bottle will mostly freeze in sub-zero temperatures. This in turn can lead to dehydration in Hamsters.
Frozen water can also lead to cracking of the bottle. If your Hamster uses a bottle to drink water, it is advised to arrange a thermal case for them.
It is best to use a dish or bowl to serve water to your Hamsters in winters. Vessels with deep sides help to prevent water from freezing.
Have a look at these amazing ‘No Drip Water Bottle & Food Bowl Set’ I got from amazon. My Hamster loves it.
- 🐾 This is a 2 in 1 Animal No Drip Water Bottle and Wire Cage Removable Food Bowl...
- 🐾 Why Choco Nose Water Bottle: Our U.S. Patented Leak-proof Nozzle can Prevent or...
How Do I Know If My Hamster Is Dehydrated?
You must know how to pick out the signs of dehydration in Hamsters. This will help you to keep your Hamster’s healthy.
Some of the common signs of dehydration in Hamsters are:
Sudden Weight Loss
If your little one has not been drinking water from past 48 hours or more, you will see a sudden downfall in their weight. Also, you will see that they have lost all interest in drinking as well.
Dehydrated Hamsters are quite lethargic. You will rarely see them showing any activity. They will even stop to groom themselves. They will spend most of their time hiding at a corner of their cage.
Your Hamster Will Look Sick
If your Hamsters are dehydrated, they will look sick. They will have sunken eyes and swollen tongue.
Change In Color Of Their Urine
Dehydrated Hamsters show a change in the color of their urine. They will now have dark-colored and foul-smelling urine.
How Do I Get My Hamster To Drink More Water?
It is important for Hamsters to drink sufficient amount of water each day to stay healthy. If your Hamster is not willing to drink water, you must take necessary steps to solve the underlying problem.
You can use some of the following tricks to get your little one drink more water:
- Serving your Hamster with more of dry food will make them feel thirsty. This will encourage them to drink more water.
- Adjust 2-3 different water bottles at various heights in the cage. Sometimes, the bottle remains too high or too low, making it difficult for Hamsters to drink water.
- Provide your Hamster with extra floor time. Exercise will make your Hamster thirty, which will in turn increase their water intake.
Besides these, you must take care of the following points:
- If your Hamster does not drink tap water, then you can get bottled water for them. You can even go for purified tap water.
- As Hamsters do not enjoy warm water, give them water that is at room temperature or a little cooler than that.
- Do not use a harsh and strong detergent to clean your Hamster’s water bottle. A strong-smelling detergent makes the situation worse.
- Serve your Hamster a well-balanced diet. If your Hamster’s water intake is low, then serve them more fruits and vegetables like cucumber, zucchini, or apple.
- Take your Hamsters to a vet, if they are not drinking water at all.
How Often Should I Change My Hamster’s Water? Do They Need Fresh Water Every Day?
Each Hamster must drink at least 20-25ml water per day. However, the consumption of water depends upon the Hamster’s age, gender, size, diet and living habits.
If you live in a humid region, you must try to change your Hamster’s water on a daily basis. The warm weather, can lead to bacteria buildup in the water containers. Therefore, it is important to change water regularly.
During cool days, you can go without changing your Hamster’s water for 3-4 days. Also, wash your Hamster’s water containers on a daily basis.