Blackberries are packed with several essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants required by our Hedgehogs. We love to munch on these berries in desserts, jam, seedless jelly, and sometimes wine. We definitely love its taste, but can we feed blackberries to our Hedgehogs? Is it safe for them? I did some research and fed it to my pet, and here is what I have learned.
Hedgehogs can surely eat blackberries as a treat. These berries have a lot of nutritional benefits. Do not forget to deseed the berry before serving it to your pet. Also, blackberries contain a decent amount of natural sugar. Therefore, it is important to serve in moderation to avoid any health problems.
All you need to make sure is you are serving the fruit to your pet in moderation. Their major diet still consists of kibble and insects/worms, and that should not be disturbed with the introduction of fruits.
Today, we will discuss the various benefits, hazards, serving size, method of preparation, and a lot more that you must keep in mind while serving blackberries to your Hedgehog.
Do Hedgehogs Like To Eat Blackberries?
Hedgehogs like blackberries a lot. It has a wonderful taste. However, overfeeding can lead to a lot of problems in our Hedgehogs.
Serving blackberries has several benefits for our Hedgehogs. Even though it does have so many benefits, it is not advised to overfeed it to your Hedgehogs.
Are Blackberries Good For Hedgehogs?
Blackberries are good for Hedgehogs if served in moderation. It does not have any side effects and has a lot of nutrients.
It is also low in calories, carbs, and fat. Here are some of the benefits of serving blackberries to your Hedgehogs in moderation:
- Fiber Content: Blackberries contain a decent amount of fiber which helps in the digestion of our Hedgehogs. It also helps in controlling blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
- Vitamin K: Vitamin K helps in blood clotting and also promotes wound healing. Vitamin K is an essential part of our Hedgehog’s diet.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is the most important nutrient for our Hedgehogs. It helps with a lot of things which include, wound healing, a stronger immune system, keeps eyesight healthy, and it also helps in absorbing iron.
- Antioxidants: Blackberries contain antioxidants that help in fighting free radicals. Free radicals are extremely bad for your Hedgehog’s health. It can cause cancer and heart diseases.
- Manganese: Manganese is important for our Hedgehogs. It maintains blood sugar levels in our Hedgehogs. It also balances the cardiovascular system.
- Better Brain Health: Blackberries also improve the brain health of our Hedgehogs. It prevents memory loss which is caused by aging.
Are Blackberries Bad For Hedgehogs?
Blackberries are not bad for our Hedgehogs if served in a moderate quantity. However, serving too much of it can lead to several health problems like obesity and diarrhea.
It is essential to serve blackberries in a moderate quantity. Here are some of the hazards of overfeeding blackberries to your Hedgehogs:
- Diabetes: Overfeeding blackberries often leads to diabetes because of the high sugar content in them.
- Digestive Problems: The sugar in blackberries can lead to many digestive problems in our Hedgehogs. You should not make it a part of their daily diet and serve it as a treat.
- Dental Issues: Blackberries can lead to cavity and gum diseases because of the sugar in them.
You should never include fruits in the daily diet of your Hedgehogs. Make sure that you serve it as a treat.
Even though it has many nutrients like fiber, minerals, and vitamins, it also contains a lot of sugar which is extremely harmful. Therefore, make sure that you are serving blackberries in a moderate quantity.
Can Hedgehogs Eat Blackberry Seeds?
Hedgehogs should not be served blackberry seeds. These seeds contain an oil rich in omega-3 and omega-6, which is harmful to our Hedgehogs.
Therefore, I advise you to avoid serving blackberry seeds to your Hedgehog at all costs.
Can Hedgehogs Eat Blackberry Leaves?
Hedgehogs can eat blackberry leaves without any problems. However, make sure that you feed them new green-colored leaves instead of old and dusty leaves. It can be eaten raw.
How Often Can Hedgehogs Eat Blackberries?
Do not feed blackberries to your Hedgehogs more than once a week. Although blackberries contain a lot of nutrients, they also contain an excessive amount of sugar.
Also, I would advise you to make your Hedgehog’s feeding schedule in advance to avoid problems in the future.
How Many Blackberries Can Hedgehogs Eat At A Time?
You should serve one small blackberry to your Hedgehogs at a time. Serving anything more than that can lead to several health problems.
Therefore, it is best to serve a small amount at a time. It is advised to serve the fruits to your Hedgehogs like a treat as they contain a lot of sugar.
Correct Way To Feed Blackberries To My Hedgehogs!
Preparing blackberries for your Hedgehogs is a straightforward process.
Follow these simple steps to prepare it for them:
- The first and foremost step is to choose a fresh blackberry for your pet. Pick only the ones in black color. Avoid the red ones.
- Wash the berry properly before serving them to your Hedgehog. This is done to get rid of the chemicals sprayed over it. This step is essential.
- Chop the fruit into small pieces so that your Hedgehogs can eat it easily. It is safer to serve it in smaller pieces. Also, do not serve them more than the advised quantity.
- Now the fruit is ready to be served to your pet. Serve the blackberries in a bowl or hand feed them to your Hedgehogs. Make sure that you serve it at room temperature.
After your Hedgehogs have enjoyed eating their blackberries, make sure that you remove all the uneaten parts. This prevents the attraction of rats and flies. It also prevents bacteria from build up in your pet’s cage.
Can Hedgehogs Eat Canned Blackberries?
Hedgehogs cannot eat canned blackberries at all. Canned food contains a lot of preservatives, which is harmful to them. Also, canned fruits contain extra sugar. Both of these are not good for our Hedgehogs.
Therefore, I advise you to avoid serving canned blackberries to your Hedgehog.
Can Hedgehogs Eat Frozen Blackberries?
Hedgehogs can eat frozen blackberries only after it has been thawed and brought back to room temperature. Serving the fruit directly from the freezer can lead to health problems like diarrhea.
Therefore, try to avoid it and serve raw blackberries instead.
Can Hedgehogs Eat Dried Blackberries?
Hedgehogs cannot eat dried blackberries. Dried fruits are filled with sugar, which is not a wise choice for our pets. It can be sticky, which is bad for the dental health of our Hedgehogs.
Also, consumption of dried food can lead to several health complications in Hedgehogs.
Can Hedgehogs Eat Wild Blackberries?
Wild blackberries do not differ much from regular berries. Therefore, Hedgehogs can eat wild blackberries without any worries. However, do not forget to wash the berries to get rid of all the germs and dirt before serving them to your pet.
Also, be it wild blackberries or the regular ones, portion control is essential. Overconsumption might result in several health complications in our pets.