Cucumbers make a good summer treat for our Hedgehogs. We surely love to munch on cucumber, but what about our Hedgehogs? Can Hedgehogs eat cucumber? Is it safe for them? Even I wondered the same thing a few years back, so I researched the same, and here is what I found out.
Hedgehogs can surely eat cucumbers. They are packed with certain essential nutrients and a lot of water, which makes them a perfect summer snack. However, I strongly advise you to steam the vegetable before serving them to your Hedgehog. Also, do not feed them more than a small slice of the veggie at a time.
You must remember that cucumber alone cannot fulfill the nutritional requirements of our Hedgehog. Therefore, it is crucial to serving them kibble and insects/worms to create a healthy and balanced diet.
Let us learn about the essential points and factors that come into play while feeding cucumbers to our Hedgehogs. We shall also learn the nutritional value of the vegetable. So, without wasting any more time, let’s get started.
Do Hedgehogs Like To Eat Cucumbers?
Even though it depends on your Hedgehog if it will like cucumbers or not. Most Hedgehogs like cucumbers. Not only do they like it, but it is also very beneficial for them. Just make sure that you introduce it to them in a small amount to know if they like it or not.
It is important to know what your Hedgehogs like and what they do not. This helps you in knowing what food items are treats for them.
Nutrition In Cucumber
Let us look in detail the nutritional values of 100 grams of cucumber.
|Vitamin C||2.8 mg|
|Vitamin K||16.4 mcg|
Is Cucumber Good For Hedgehogs?
Cucumber can be good for our Hedgehogs if served in moderation. It is a vegetable that is packed with water. It contains over 95% of water and ensures that your Hedgehogs never get dehydrated.
Cucumber also contains a decent amount of Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin A, calcium, and phosphorus. These vitamins make the immune system stronger and prevent a lot of different diseases in our Hedgehogs.
Calcium and phosphorus are essential for Hedgehogs as it helps in healthy growth of young and pregnant Hedgehogs. Cucumbers also contain antioxidants that prevent various heart, lungs, and chronic diseases in Hedgehogs.
Is Cucumber Bad For Hedgehogs?
Overfeeding cucumbers to your Hedgehogs might lead to some problems. The calcium present in cucumber can also lead to the formation of kidney stones if overfed.
Cucumber contains an element called cucurbitacins which is responsible for its bitter taste. Cucurbitacins can be harmful to our Hedgehogs if overfed. It can lead to digestive problems or even diarrhea.
Cucumber seeds contain fatty acids, which might lead to frequent urination in our Hedgehogs. This might also lead to dehydration in our Hedgehogs.
Cucumbers are coated with wax sometimes which is toxic for our Hedgehogs. It is essential to treat these cucumbers before serving. Organic cucumbers are much better for your Hedgehogs.
Overfeeding cucumbers can also lead to gas, bloating, and diarrhea. Make sure that you serve it in the right quantity to Hedgehogs.
Can Hedgehogs Eat Cucumber Skin?
Hedgehogs can eat cucumber skins without any problems. It contains a decent amount of dietary fiber, which is beneficial for the digestive system of our Hedgehogs. Try to find organic cucumbers for your Hedgehogs since the wax on the skin can be terrible for them.
How Often Can Hedgehogs Eat Cucumber?
You should feed 1 or 2 slices of cucumbers to your Hedgehogs not more than once a week. Serving anything more than that can lead to some fatal problems. You should not include it in their daily diet.
It is essential to serve any new form of food to your Hedgehogs in a small quantity. This is done to see if your Hedgehogs do not show any adverse effects on eating it. It will also prevent various diseases like diarrhea.
If your Hedgehog is showing adverse effects after you serve cucumber to him, you must take them to a vet. They can help you find out the reason behind the same. You can also mix the vegetable with your Hedgehog’s kibble. They will enjoy it even more.
Correct Way To Feed Cucumber To My Hedgehogs?
Preparing cucumbers for Hedgehogs is a simple process. Follow these simple steps listed below to prepare cucumber for your Hedgehog:
- The first and foremost step is to choose the correct cucumber for your Hedgehogs. Also, serve your Hedgehogs with organically grown vegetables only. Vegetables available in the local market are mostly sprayed with chemicals, which can be toxic for them.
- Look for fresh and green cucumbers. Bitter cucumbers are a sign of higher cucurbitacin, so avoid them.
- Wash the vegetable properly before serving to your Hedgehog. This gets rid of any wax or chemicals sprayed on it. Not washing it properly can be terrible for your Hedgehogs. Use warm water to wash cucumbers so that the wax gets washed away.
- You can peel the skin if you want. This step is optional. It depends on your Hedgehogs whether it likes the skin or not. The best option would be to peel the skin.
- Cut the vegetable into small pieces so that your Hedgehogs can eat it easily, and it is not a choking hazard. Also, I advise you to steam the cucumber before serving them to your pet.
- Let the vegetable cool down before serving your Hedgehog. Do not serve them with warm vegetables. They might end up burning their mouth.
- Now you are ready to serve the vegetable to your Hedgehog. You can either hand-feed them or serve them in their food bowl.
Lastly, you must remove all the uneaten parts after your Hedgehogs have enjoyed eating their food. This prevents bacteria build up in and around the cage.