Cabbages are leafy greens with a lot of nutritional value. It is a common vegetable found across the kitchen. So the question for the day is, how good is cabbage for our Hedgehogs? Can Hedgehogs eat cabbage? Is it safe for them? Let’s find out!
Hedgehogs can surely eat steamed cabbage once in a while. Cabbage is rich in a wide range of nutrients. On the flip side, it contains a decent amount of calcium, which is terrible for their health. Avoid serving them with raw cabbage. Raw cabbages are difficult to chew. It might even lead to choking hazards.
You must keep in mind that the staple food Hedgehogs consists of kibble and live insects or worms. Therefore, vegetables should be served to them as treats only. Do not make it a part of their daily diet.
Also, you should never make a sudden change in your Hedgehog’s diet. If you are introducing cabbage to your pet’s diet for the first time, make sure you keep track of their reaction. If they show any negative reactions, immediately take away the vegetable from them. If the problem persists, take them to a vet.
So, with that out of the way, let us learn more about nutrition, benefits, and hazards that cabbage provides to our Hedgehogs.
Nutrition In Cabbage
Let us look in detail what are the nutritional values of 100 grams of cabbage holds
|Vitamin C||36.6 mg|
|Vitamin A||98 IU|
|Vitamin K||76 mcg|
Cabbage has a lot of nutrients that are essential for our Hedgehogs. It plays an important role in their development and overall body growth.
- Vitamin C: Cabbage contains a decent amount of Vitamin C, which is essential for the growth, development, and repair of all body tissues of our Hedgehogs.
- Vitamin K: Vitamin K is an important nutrient for our Hedgehogs. Not only does it help in blood clotting, but it also prevents excessive bleeding. It also helps in digestion and makes the immune system stronger.
- Iron: Cabbage is rich in iron as well. It makes sure that the immune system is strong at all times. This prevents a lot of diseases.
These food bowls that I use for my little one are some of my personal favorites. My Hedgehog loves them. Have a look at them!
Is Cabbage Safe For Hedgehogs?
Cabbage is safe for Hedgehogs if served in moderation. It has numerous benefits. It is an excellent choice to feed leafy vegetables to our Hedgehogs.
Cabbage contains a decent amount of calcium, which is helpful for our Hedgehogs as it helps in the healthy development of bones and teeth. However, if overfed can often lead to the formation of bladder stones in our Hedgehogs. So make sure that you feed cabbage to your Hedgehogs in a moderate quantity.
Here are some of the benefits of serving cabbage to your Hedgehogs in moderation:
- Prevents Bleeding: Vitamin K present in cabbage helps to prevent excessive bleeding in Hedgehogs. Also, it helps in healing wounds in our Hedgehogs.
- Maintains Blood Sugar: The potassium in cabbage maintains the blood sugar, which is essential for our Hedgehogs.
- Some Other Benefits: Serving cabbage to your Hedgehogs will also manage and repair tissues and cells of their body. It also helps in maintaining good health by storing energy.
Is Cabbage Bad For Hedgehogs?
Cabbage can be harmful to our Hedgehogs if overfed. Ensure that you do not overfeed cabbage to your Hedgehogs at all, as it can lead to a lot of problems. Some of those include:
- Formation Of Bladder Stones: The calcium present in cabbage can lead to the formation of bladder stones. It can be extremely painful for them.
- Diarrhea: Overfeeding cabbage might also lead to diarrhea and bloating in Hedgehogs.
- Digestive Problems: You need to make sure that you serve it in a small amount when you introduce a new food to your Hedgehogs. Overfeeding new foods often leads to a lot of digestive problems.
How Much Cabbage Should I Feed My Hedgehog?
Serving one-two small leaves of cabbage to your Hedgehogs once a week is ideal. It is essential to monitor your Hedgehog’s diet. You should not overfeed any food items to them. Also, vegetables are not a staple part of a Hedgehog’s diet.
Although the serving size might depend on some factors like age and size, try to serve the least amount possible. You cannot include cabbage in the daily diet of your Hedgehogs.
Correct Way To Feed Cabbage To My Hedgehogs?
Preparing cabbage for Hedgehogs is an easy and straightforward process.
So follow these simple steps to prepare cabbage for your Hedgehogs:
- The first and foremost step is to choose a good cabbage for your Hedgehogs. Do not choose wilted ones at all. Organic cabbages are the best for your Hedgehogs.
- Wash the vegetable properly. This step is essential as it gets rid of all the dust particles present on it.
- Cut into small pieces and remove the stalk. Now, you need to cook/ steam the vegetable. Make sure that you cool down the vegetable before serving them to your Hedgehogs. Do not serve them more than a small leaf at a time. You can even shred the boiled veggie for your pet.
- After your Hedgehogs have enjoyed eating their food, make sure that you remove any uneaten parts of the food. This prevents bacteria from building up in and around the cage.
- So, Can Hedgehogs eat cabbage? Yes, Hedgehogs can surely eat cabbage but as treats only.
- Cabbage is an excellent source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and other essential minerals and antioxidants.
- Serve your Hamsters with cooked/steamed cabbage only. Do not add oil, salt, sugar, spices, etc., while cooking the vegetable for your Hamster.
- A small leaf once in a while is perfect for them. Do not serve more than the advised quantity. Overconsumption can lead to several health problems.
- Under no circumstances, cabbage can be served daily to your pet. The staple diet of Hedgehogs consists of kibble and live insects or worms.
Can Hedgehogs Eat Raw Cabbage?
Although Hedgehogs can eat raw cabbage leaves once in a while, it is best to serve them cooked vegetables only. Raw vegetables can be difficult for them to chew. It might even lead to a choking hazard. Therefore, it is best to avoid it as much as possible.
Can Hedgehogs Eat Cooked Cabbage?
Hedgehogs can surely eat cooked cabbages in a while. It is important to make sure that you wash it properly and chop it into smaller pieces before steaming and giving it to them. Also, you must now add salt, sugar, oil, spice, or any additives while cooking the vegetable for your Hedgehog.
Can Hedgehogs Eat Cabbage Leaves?
Hedgehogs can eat cabbage leaves. It is packed with nutrients and is beneficial for our Hedgehogs. However, do not serve more than the advised quantity. Overconsumption might result in several health problems.
Can Hedgehogs Eat Red Cabbage?
Hedgehogs can eat red cabbage but in moderation. It is rich in Vitamin C, which is essential for our Hedgehogs. However, you must remember that vegetables are not a part of a Hedgehog’s staple diet. Therefore, it must be served as a treat only.
Can Hedgehogs Eat Cavolo Nero Cabbage?
Hedgehogs can eat cavolo nero cabbage once in a while. They are rich in Vitamin C and antioxidants, which have a lot of benefits for our pet . However, do remember to feed it only in moderation as you do with other cabbages.