Watermelons are, surprisingly, among the world’s top-ten healthiest fruits. It has a high level of water content. They are fruits packed with a whole lot of important nutrients and vitamins. But have you ever wondered whether Hamsters eat Watermelons? If yes, Is it safe for them? It is a question that boggles a lot of Hamster owners. So, I decided to do some research, and here is what I found out!
Hamsters can eat watermelon but in limited quantities. A teaspoon of the fruit once a week is ideal for them. Watermelons do have high water content (92%), which makes them a limiting factor for our Hamster’s diet. Overfeeding might lead to serious health problems such as bloating, obesity, and diarrhea.
We must keep in mind that like any other fruit Watermelons should also be given only as treats. You may feed them Watermelon at a maximum of once in two weeks.
Do not be surprised if your Hamsters do not like them. It’s totally alright. Not everyone loves everything to eat. Most of the Hamsters do not like it but the others enjoy it the most.
If you are introducing Watermelon to your Hamster for the first time be sure you are feeding it in a small amount. Observe and look for any negative reactions like diarrhea or other medical problems. If there is no reaction, you are all good to go.
Let us have a quick look at the nutrients that Watermelon possesses and what benefits our Hamsters can get from it.
Nutrition in Watermelon?
|Vitamin C||8.1 mg/ 100 g|
|Vitamin A||569 IU|
|Calcium||7 mg/ 100 g|
|Phosphorus||11 mg/ 100 g|
|Potassium||112 mg/ 100 g|
|Fiber||0.4 g/ 100 g|
|Sugar||6.2 g/ 100 g|
|Protein||0.61 g/ 100 g|
|Carbs||7.55 g/ 100 g|
|Fat||0.15 g/ 100 g|
|Water||91.45 g/ 100 g|
Vitamin C is a critical vitamin for the body as it helps in healing. Lack of Vitamin C in Hamsters can lead to a painful disease called scurvy.
Watermelons also contain a decent amount of Vitamin A in it. Vitamin A helps in the development and growth of Hamsters.
Calcium and phosphorus present in watermelon are essential for bone formation of the Hamsters. It strengthens their bones.
Potassium maintains the healthy heart of the Hamsters. It also helps in the development of the muscles.
A little bit of fiber present in Watermelon is also essential for the proper functioning of the Hamster’s digestive system.
- What Fruits Can Hamsters Eat?
- What Vegetables Can Hamsters Eat?
- 1000+ Hamster Name Ideas
- Can Hamsters Drink Tap Water?
Is Watermelon Good For Hamsters?
Watermelon make an excellent summer treat for our Hamsters. It helps to keep the body of our Hamster hydrated in the hot days.
Watermelons also contains traces of Vitamin C, which helps to prevent several diseases in Hamsters.
Although too much calcium is terrible for the Hamster’s diet, the amount of calcium is watermelon is quite adequate.
Calcium is also an important part of young Hamsters’ diet, as their bodies and bones develop. Pregnant Hamsters also need to be served with a slightly higher calcium diet. This is because it helps in improving the teeth and bones of young ones.
Watermelon also contains an abundance of potassium. Potassium is an excellent nutrient as it helps prevent stones in our Hamsters.
Is Watermelon Safe For Hamsters?
Hamsters can safely eat watermelon. However, portion control is crucial. Anything in excess would be harmful, and the same applies to watermelon too.
Watermelon does contain a trace amount of fiber, which can cause diarrhea if served in much quantity.
Also, watermelon contains a significant amount of sugar. 6 gram/100 grams of sugar might not seem like much to you, but it’s a great deal for your Hamsters.
The high sugar content does pose a threat to diseases like diabetes and obesity in Hamsters. Therefore, we must try to use watermelon and other fruit just like a small diet to supplement vitamins and not make it a significant chunk in the menu.
Have a look at these Hamster sand trays, your little one will surely love it! They are quite handy and durable.
Can Hamsters Eat Watermelon Rinds?
Hamsters can eat watermelon rinds without any problems. Watermelon rinds are rich in fiber. Fibers help to maintain regular bowel movements. This helps to prevent any disease of the colon.
If you are offering the rind to your hamster for the very first time, make sure you give it in a tiny portion. Then, look out for how they react to it.
Serve a very delicate amount of rind and look for any signs of diarrhea. Serve it for a maximum of once in two weeks.
Make sure you wash the outer portion of the rind properly before you give it to your Hamster. Watermelons bought from the local fruit market contain a lot of pesticides and other harmful chemicals.
Can Hamsters Eat Watermelon Seeds?
Watermelon seeds are potentially harmful to Hamsters. Though humans enjoy eating them, it is a big NO-NO for your little friend.
Many of us think that as watermelon seeds are hard, they may help the hamsters with their teeth. This is untrue. Serving your hamsters with watermelon seeds can be a life-threatening situation. It can even sometimes choke them to death.
Can Hamsters Have Watermelon Juice?
It is often recommended not to feed your Hamsters with watermelon juice. It has a high sugar content and often upset your Hamster tummy. Hamsters are prone to obesity and diabetes.
Many of them Hamsters even shows signs of diarrhea and loosening of bowels. So it is best to avoid feeding them with watermelon juice. You would surely not want to risk your little friend’s life.
How Much Watermelon Can Hamsters Eat At A Time?
Hamsters can eat watermelon in limited quantities only. A small slice or one tablespoon of the fruit at a time is ideal for them. It is important for you to stick to the serving quantity. This is important because overfeeding of watermelon can lead to several health problems in Hamsters.
How Often Can I Serve Watermelon To My Hamsters?
Do not serve your Hamsters watermelon more than two times a week. To keep our Hamsters healthy and fit, portion control is essential. You must keep in mind that fruits are not a regular part of our Hamster’s diet. Therefore, they should be served as treats only.
Correct way to feed Watermelon to your Hamsters!
It is extremely easy to prepare watermelon for our Hamsters.
Listed below are a few steps that you can follow to easily prepare watermelon for your Hamsters:
- We must begin by picking up the perfect watermelon for our Hamster. The watermelon you pick for your Hamster is not raw. It would be unhealthy to feed your Hamster with raw watermelon. If the underside of the Watermelon is whitish, then it is unripe.
- Now wash the fruit before slicing it. This will make sure that the fruit is free from any dirt or germs. The best option is to serve our Hamsters with organic fruits only. Fruits available in the local market are often sprayed with chemicals.
- Now cut a tiny portion of the vegetable for your Hamsters. Do not serve them anything more than half a tablespoon at a time.
- Now the fruit is ready to be served to your Hamsters. You can either hand feed them or serve them in their food bowl.
- After your Hamster has enjoyed his treat, remove all the uneaten portion of the fruit from his cage. This will help to avoid any bacteria build-up in and around the cage. It also helps to prevent flies and mice infestation.
I found this amazing Watermelon print, OMEM Hamster Bowl, your little one will surely love this. Check it out!
- Hamster Food Water Bowl✔ Diameter:3.14 inches; Height:1.57 inches; Weight:0.38 lbs
- Easy to Clean✔ The ceramic bowl is easy to clean and hygienic and its weight means...
What Are Other Healthy Alternatives To Watermelon In A Hamster’s Diet?
Here is a list of a few healthy alternatives that your Hamsters might love to munch on.
- Commercially made hamsters pellets
- Eggs(smalls pieces only-boiled, scrambled)
- Vegetables: Broccoli, Carrots, Spinach & Cucumber
- Fruits: Apple(without seeds), Banana, Strawberries & Pears
Only a few are listed here, there are many others with your Hamster may enjoy. These are the top ones.
However, before feeding any kind of fruits or veggies to your Hamster make sure you have washed it properly. There are no traces of pesticides left.
Fruits and Veggies bought from local shops often contain harmful chemicals.
- Can Hamsters eat watermelon? Yes, Hamsters can surely eat watermelon once in a while. It makes a perfect summer treat for our pets.
- Watermelon is packed with several essential vitamins and minerals required for the growth and development of our Hamsters.
- It is recommended that you should not serve watermelon more than twice a month to your Hamsters. Also, make sure you only serve a small slice of the fruit to your Hamsters at a time.
- Watermelon seeds can be a choking hazard for your Hamsters. Thus, you must remember to peel the skin and remove all the seeds before serving them to your pet.
- Overconsumption of watermelon can be a severe threat to your Hamsters. Diarrhea, bloating, obesity, and diabetes are some common problems you might notice if you overfeed watermelon to your Hamsters.
- Lastly, you must always remember that any fruits, including watermelon, can not be included in their regular meal.