Plums are highly nutritious and have a lot of health benefits for us humans. Most of us find plums extremely delicious, but can our Hamsters eat plums? Is it safe for them? Let’s find out!
Hamster can surely eat plums. Packed with several essential vitamins and minerals, plums make an excellent treat for our Hamsters. However, it also contains a decent amount of sugar and acid, which can prove to be harmful to their health. Therefore, it is important to serve in limited quantities.
Like other fruits, plums are high in sugar and acidic in nature. Therefore, feeding in moderation is essential and healthy. Excess feeding can lead to health issues and can havoc on our pet’s stomach.
Feeding our Hamsters a healthy diet is crucial for their well-being. Therefore, it is important that you learn everything about their diet and what goes into it. So, let’s get right into it.
Nutrition In Plums
Plums contain a lot of nutritional value. Here are some of the nutrients present in plum:
- Vitamin C: Plums contain a lot of Vitamin C, which helps in overall body growth in Hamsters. It also makes the immune system stronger, which in turn prevents many diseases.
- Vitamin A: Plums also contain Vitamin A in a small amount, which helps in preventing diseases like cancer. It also makes our Hamsters stronger.
- Calcium: Plums are rich in calcium. It is essential for the proper functioning of the body. It also helps in the formation of bones and tissues.
- Antioxidants: It contains antioxidants that improve our Hamster’s immune system, which helps prevent many diseases.
- Potassium: Potassium is one of the most important nutrients for our Hamsters. It helps to maintain water retention capacity and also reduces blood sugar levels.
To learn more about the fruits and vegetables you can and cannot feed your Hamsters, refer to the articles linked below:
- What Fruits Can Hamsters Eat? (Complete List, Serving Size & More)
- What Vegetables Can Hamsters Eat? ( List, Serving size & More )
Are Hamsters Allowed To Eat Plums?
Hamsters can eat plums but in moderation. It would be a terrible idea to overfeed plums to your Hamsters.
Here are some of the hazards of overfeeding plums to your Hamsters:
- Diabetes: Plum contains a lot of sugar and carbohydrates, which often leads to diabetes in Hamsters if overfed.
- Digestive Problems: A large amount of sugar in plums can easily upset our Hamster’s stomach. Hamsters have a very delicate stomach, so you need to make sure that their diet is balanced.
- Calcium Stones: Plums also contain a decent amount of oxalates, which often leads to the formation of calcium stones in Hamsters.
Have a look at this bestselling Hamster Food Bowls from Amazon. My Hamster loves it, yours will love it too!
Are Plums Good For Hamsters?
Plums can be beneficial for our Hamsters if served in the right quantity. It has a decent nutritional value. It contains a decent amount of Vitamin C, Vitamin A, and some other nutrients.
Here are some of the benefits of serving plum to your Hamsters in a moderate quantity:
- Antioxidants: Plums contain a decent amount of antioxidants, which help in reducing inflammation. It also reduces the risk of diabetes and makes their bones stronger.
- Makes Their Immunity System Stronger: Plum contains a lot of nutrients like Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Vitamin K, which is extremely beneficial for our Hamsters. It makes their immune system stronger and prevents diseases.
- Prevents Heart Diseases: Serving plums in a moderate quantity to your Hamsters can prevent heart diseases. It can also reduce cholesterol levels and blood pressure in Hamsters.
- What Herbs Can Hamsters Eat? (List Of Safe & Unsafe Herbs)
- What Food Can Hamsters Not Eat? (Toxic + Poisonous Food)
- Can Hamsters Eat Eggs? (Raw, Boiled, Scrambled & More)
- Seeds For Hamsters: Safe & Unsafe Seeds
- Do Hamsters Play Dead? (+How To Train Them)
- How Often Should I Feed My Hamster? (Owner’s Guide)
Can Hamsters Eat Plum Tree Branches?
Plumtree branches are toxic for our Hamsters. We cannot serve it to them at all. It often contains large pits and stones, which are not safe for our Hamsters at all. Therefore, the best option is to avoid serving plum tree branches to Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Plum Tree Leaves?
Plum tree leaves are also toxic for our Hamsters, so they should not be served at all. Consumption of plum tree leaves can cause serious health problems in Hamsters.
How Many Plums Can I Serve My Hamster At A Time?
You should consider plum as a treat for your Hamsters. You should not serve any more than one plum to your Hamster at a time.
It is essential to remove the pit before serving, as it contains a decent amount of cyanide which can be harmful to our Hamsters. Also, wash it properly so that all the dust particles get washed away.
How Often Can Hamsters Eat Plums?
Hamsters can eat plums 2 or 3 times a week. We should not add plum to our Hamster’s daily diet.
It can be extremely harmful to our Hamsters if we overfeed plums to them. It contains a lot of sugar, which is terrible for our Hamster’s digestive system if over-served.
Correct Way To Prepare Plums For Our Hamsters
Preparing plums for our Hamsters is an easy process. It is extremely important to make sure that we serve the fruit correctly so that our little ones can gain maximum benefit from them.
Follow these simple steps to prepare plums for your Hamsters:
- The first and foremost step is to pick fresh plums for your Hamsters and make sure to wash them properly. This step is extremely important as it makes sure that all the dust particles get washed away.
- Remove the plum’s pit. This is done as it contains cyanide which might be toxic for our Hamsters.
- Cut the plums into smaller pieces so that your Hamsters can eat them easily and do not choke on them.
- Now the fruit is ready to be served to your Hamsters. You can either hand-feed them or serve them in their food bowl.
After your Hamsters have enjoyed eating the plums, make sure that you remove any uneaten part of the fruit to avoid any bacteria build-up in and around the cage. It will also help to prevent flies and mice infestation.
Here are some of my favorites leak-proof water bottles from Amazon. Check them out!
Can Hamsters Eat Plum Jam?
Hamsters should not be fed plum jam at all. This is because it is processed, too sweet, sugary, and also unnatural for our Hamsters. They might even get cramps and suffer from stomach aches if served plum jam.
Can Hamsters Eat Canned Plum?
Hamsters can eat a canned plum, but it has almost no nutrients compared to normal plum. Not only this, but it also has added sugar and some other preservatives. So, it is not a very good idea to serve canned plums to your Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Frozen Plum?
Hamsters cannot eat frozen plums, as it is very hard for them to chew them. Also, consumption of frozen fruits might lead to stomach upsets in Hamsters. So, keep your Hamsters away from frozen plums.