Vegetables are an essential part of our Hamster’s diet. Therefore, as an owner, we must learn all about the food before serving it to our little ones. So, the question for the day is can Hamsters eat peas? Is it safe for them? I did some research, and here is what I have learned about it.
Hamsters can surely eat peas. They are an excellent source of vitamin C, fiber, and carbohydrates, required by our Hamsters. However, the decent amount of calcium, phosphorus, and sugar present in them makes them a limiting factor for our Hamsters. Therefore, it is important to serve in moderation.
You should avoid serving peas if your Hamster has a medical history of kidney or urinary complications. The high calcium content can further increase their problems.
So, now that you know you can feed peas to your Hamsters, you might want to know the feeding size and frequency. However, we first need to understand what are the hazards and benefits before moving to the serving size. Thus, let us begin by understanding the nutritional composition of peas.
Nutrition In Peas
Let us look in detail the nutritional values of 100 grams of peas.
|Vitamin C||12.2 mg|
|Vitamin K||43 µg|
|Vitamin A||35 µg|
|Lutein + Zeaxanthin||640 µg|
Peas have a lot of nutrients. Here are some of those:
- Vitamin C: Peas contain Vitamin C in a high amount. It helps in keeping the immune system strong and also prevents scurvy.
- Vitamin K: Peas contain a decent amount of Vitamin K. It helps in blood clotting and makes the bones stronger.
- Dietary fibers: Peas are also rich in dietary fibers, which are essential for the digestive system of our Hamsters.
- Protein: Peas contain a decent amount of protein, which helps prevent many diseases in our Hamsters.
To learn more about the fruits and vegetables you can and cannot feed your Hamsters, refer to the articles linked below:
- What Fruits Can Hamsters Eat? (Complete List, Serving Size & More)
- What Vegetables Can Hamsters Eat? ( List, Serving size & More )
Are Peas Safe For Hamsters?
Peas are safe for our Hamsters if served in moderation. Like any other food item, peas are also bad for our Hamsters if served in excess.
Serving an excessive amount of peas to our Hamsters can lead to terrible diseases. Here are some of the hazards of overfeeding peas to our Hamsters:
- Urinary Problems: Peas contain a decent amount of calcium, which is extremely harmful to our Hamsters. Serving too much calcium can often lead to several urinary complications and even the formation of bladder stones. Older Hamsters need much less calcium than younger ones.
- High Amount Of Oxalic Acid: Peas are rich in oxalic acid, which is not good for our Hamsters. It can lead to several problems like the formation of kidney stones.
- High Amounts Of Phosphorus: Excessive amounts of phosphorus might impact the growth and survival of our Hamsters.
Are Peas Good For Hamsters?
Peas are good for our Hamsters since they contain a lot of nutrients like Vitamin C, fiber, protein, etc. Here are some of the benefits of serving peas to our Hamsters in a moderate quantity:
- Prevents Scurvy: The high amount of Vitamin C in peas helps in preventing scurvy in our Hamsters. Scurvy is one of the most common diseases in Hamsters.
- Hydrating Agent: Peas contain a decent amount of water which helps our Hamsters significantly. It makes sure that they never get dehydrated.
- Good For Their Gut: Peas contain a decent amount of fiber, which helps the digestive system of our Hamsters. But overfeeding fiber can lead to the opposite and harm their digestive system.
Have a look at this bestselling Hamster Food Bowls from Amazon. My Hamster loves it, yours will love it too!
Can Hamsters Eat Green Peas?
Hamsters can eat green peas. It is the most healthy form of a pea for our Hamsters. Make sure that you are serving it in a moderate quantity so that our Hamsters can enjoy all the benefits that it offers.
Can Hamsters Eat Sugar Snap Peas?
Hamsters can eat sugar snap peas but in small quantities. Sugar snap peas have high sugar content. Serving too much sugar can lead to several problems like obesity and diarrhea in Hamsters. It also has some acidic content, which is harmful to our Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Snow Peas?
Hamsters can eat snow peas when it’s not ripe. You can also feed them leaves of snow peas. However, they are also rich in sugar. Therefore, you must avoid serving snow peas to your Hamsters as much as possible.
Can Hamsters Eat Split Peas?
We should not serve our Hamsters with split peas. They are highly acidic in nature, which might prove to be a problem for our Hamsters. Therefore, the best option would be to avoid serving your Hamsters with split peas.
Can Hamsters Eat Sweet Peas?
Hamsters can eat sweet peas once in a while. They might have a lot of health benefits, but the high sugar content makes them a limiting factor for our Hamsters. Therefore, serving in moderation is important.
Can Hamsters Eat Peas In A Pod?
Hamsters can eat peas in a pod in small quantities only. Although they have a lot of health benefits, it’s acidic nature can be a problem for our Hamsters. Therefore, portion control is the key.
- What Food Can Hamsters Not Eat? (Toxic + Poisonous Food)
- Do Hamsters Cry? (What Does It Sound Like +What To Do)
- Do Hamsters Like To Be Held? (+Tips To Handle Them)
- Top 15 Ways To Keep Your Hamsters Happy (Owner’s Guide)
- How To Entertain A Hamster: 15 Fun Things To Do
- Why Does My Hamster Stare At Me? (This Is What You Must Know)
How Many Peas Can Hamsters Eat At A Time?
You should not feed any more than one or two pea pods at a time. Since peas contain traces of calcium and oxalic acid, serving anything more than that can lead to several health problems.
You should not include peas in your Hamster’s regular diet. It should mainly contain Hamster mix, vegetables, and some fruits.
How Often Can I Serve Peas To My Hamsters?
You can serve peas to your Hamsters once or twice a week. Overconsumption of peas often leads to a lot of problems in our Hamsters. Try to serve it in small quantities only so that your Hamster does not have to suffer from any health problems.
Correct Way To Feed Peas To My Hamsters!
Feeding peas to our Hamsters is an easy and straightforward process. Follow these simple steps to feed peas to your Hamsters:
- The first and foremost step is to choose a ripe pea for your Hamsters. You can make sure that a pea is ripe by seeing if it is green in color and contains peas in the pod.
- Wash the peas properly before serving them. This is very important since it makes sure that all the dust particles get washed away.
- You can remove the pod before serving the peas to your Hamsters. This step is optional. Also, mixing them with other vegetables will make a well-balanced diet for our Hamsters.
- After your Hamsters have enjoyed eating their meal, make sure that you remove all the uneaten parts of the food. This prevents bacteria build up in and around the cage.
Have a look at these Hamster sand trays, your little one will surely love it! They are quite handy and durable.
Can Hamsters Eat Frozen Peas?
Hamsters can eat frozen peas but only after it is thawed and brought back to room temperature. Feeding frozen food directly to our Hamsters can often lead to stomach problems, so avoid doing so.
Can Hamsters Eat Cooked Peas?
Hamsters cannot eat cooked peas at all. Serving cooked food to our Hamsters can often lead to several digestive problems in our Hamsters. Also, cooking gets rid of some essential nutrients for our Hamsters. Therefore, it is advised not to serve cooked peas to your Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Canned Peas?
We should not serve our Hamsters with canned peas. Canned vegetables contain excessive sodium, which can be harmful to our Hamsters. Also, the preservatives present in the canned vegetables can easily make our Hamsters sick.
Can Hamsters Eat Raw Peas?
Hamsters can surely eat raw peas. They are packed with several essential vitamins and minerals required by our Hamsters. Also, any vegetable in its raw form is best suited for our Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Garden Peas?
Hamsters can eat garden peas but in small quantities only. Garden peas are rich in phosphorus and calcium. Besides this, they also contain a decent amount of sugar. Therefore, portion control is important.
Can Hamsters Eat Chickpeas?
Chickpeas are not safe for our Hamsters to consume. They have a huge amount of fiber content, which can easily disrupt our Hamster’s bowel moments. Therefore, it is advised not to serve your Hamsters with chickpeas.
Can Hamsters Eat Pea Flakes?
Hamsters can surely eat pea flakes. In fact, pea flakes make an excellent snack for our Hamsters. However, it is important to serve in moderation. Pea flakes contain an excessive amount of protein. Therefore, overfeeding might lead to obesity and urinary problems in Hamsters.