Hamsters love to munch on peanuts, but what about peanut butter? A lot of owners often ask if their Hamsters can eat peanut butter? How good is it for their Hamsters? I also had a few doubts regarding the same in my mind, so I decided to do some research, and here is what I learned.
Hamsters can eat peanut butter, but only when it is served in moderation. They are highly nutritious and have a lot of health benefits. However, the risk outweighs the benefits for Hamsters. It is more likely junk food for them. Therefore, do not serve them more than a thin layer of peanut butter at a time.
It is pretty obvious that Humans have a better digestive system and can eat peanut butter without much problem. However, unlike us, Hamsters may or may not digest peanut butter easily.
Also, overconsumption of peanut butter can cause serious health issues such as itching problems, irritation in the eyes & nose, diarrhea, skin inflammation, breathing problem, increased heart rate, pain in urine and stomach ace, etc., in our Hamsters.
As we have already seen, there are more drawbacks of feeding peanut butter to our Hamsters. We will consider this down below, but for now, let’s look at the nutritional values of peanut butter to begin with.
Nutrition In Peanut Butter
Let us look in detail what are the nutritional values of 100 grams of peanut butter holds.
|Total lipid (fat)||51.1 g|
|Total fat (NLEA)||47.9 g|
|Carbohydrate, by the difference||22.3 g|
|Fiber, total dietary||4.8 g|
|Sugars, Total NLEA||10.5 g|
|Calcium, Ca||49 mg|
|Iron, Fe||1.73 mg|
|Magnesium, Mg||169 mg|
|Phosphorus, P||339 mg|
|Potassium, K||564 mg|
|Sodium, Na||429 mg|
|Zinc, Zn||2.54 mg|
|Copper, Cu||0.42 mg|
|Manganese, Mn||1.68 mg|
|Selenium, Se||4.1 µg|
|Pantothenic acid||1.11 mg|
|Vitamin B-6||0.444 mg|
|Folate, total||86 µg|
|Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)||9.1 mg|
Do Hamsters Like To Eat Peanut Butter?
Peanut butter has a very distinct taste compared to the food our Hamsters usually eat. Also, when it comes to food, Hamsters can be fussy.
The preference of the food varies from Hamster to Hamster. While one may enjoy it, others might hate it altogether.
You can feed them peanut butter and find out if they like it or not. Based on their likes and dislikes, you may choose whether to provide them with peanut butter or not.
Is Peanut Butter Safe For Hamsters?
Peanut butter is totally safe for our Hamsters till we serve them in moderation. Also, we must keep in mind that creamy peanut butter is the best choice for our Hamsters.
You must avoid serving your Hamsters with crunchy peanut butter. The best option is to provide your Hamsters with homemade peanut butter.
If you choose to provide your Hamster with readymade made peanut butter, make sure you check that it does not contain xylitol. Consumption of xylitol can lead to a lot of problems in our Hamsters.
Is Peanut Butter Good For Hamsters?
Peanut butter has certain health benefits for our Hamsters. It is packed with natural fats, heart-healthy fats, Vitamin B, Vitamin E, and Niacin.
All of these things can prove to be very beneficial for our Hamsters’ health to have. Therefore, peanut butter is a great way for your dog to get those fats and vitamins.
Listed below are some of the benefits of feeding peanut butter to our Hamsters:
- Makes A Delicious Treat: Every owner loves to spoil their little Hamsters. Most of them even treat their pets as members of their families. Hamsters typically love the taste of peanut butter. Peanut butter makes a different treat for them than their usual Hamster food. Also, most Hamsters love to eat peanut butter.
- Nutritional Benefit: When served peanut butter in the correct amount, it has several health benefits for Hamsters. Peanut butter is packed with plenty of protein, as well as vitamin B, vitamin E, niacin, and other heart-healthy fats. Peanut butter makes a good treat if your Hamster happens to be lacking in these things, as it can give them a boost. However, you must remember that peanut butter is not a substitute for a healthy diet!
Is Peanut Butter Bad For Hamsters?
Peanut butter could prove to be bad for our Hamsters if they are served in excessive quantities. Overfeeding can lead to several health problems.
Here are some hazards you must watch out before feeding peanut butter to your Hamsters:
- Your Hamster Might Be Allergic To It: Many people are allergic to peanut butter. The same is the case with Hamsters. If you are introducing peanut butter to your pet for the first time, it would be best to give them a tiny portion. After that, you must look if they show any negative reactions. If not, you are good to go.
- High In Calories: Peanut butter is pretty high in calories. If your Hamsters are already suffering from weight issues, I recommend you avoid serving them with peanut butter. Also, weight issues can lead to severe health consequences such as diabetes and heart conditions in our Hamsters.
- High In Salt: Although salt is not poisonous for our Hamsters, it is not good for them either. We can easily find salt in most jars of peanut butter, that too in very high doses. It will be fairly difficult to find a peanut butter that does not have salt in it.
- Look Out For Xylitol: Most jars of peanut butter available in the market contain xylitol. Xylitol is a sweetener that has progressively been added to more and more foods offered at grocery stores everywhere. While it is safe for us to digest, it is poisonous to our Hamsters.
- Choking Hazard: As peanut butter is quite sticky, it can definitely lead to choking hazards in our Hamsters. It can even disrupt their cheek pouches. Therefore, we need to be very careful while feeding peanut butter to our Hamsters.
- Other Harmful Ingredients: Certain components present in peanut butter are not healthy for our Hamsters to consume. Overconsumption of certain nutrients such as calcium and phosphorus can cause health issues in our Hamsters. It might even result in infections, bladder, and kidney stones. Thus, you must manage the amount of calcium, and phosphorous your pet consumes.
What Peanut Butter Is Safe For Hamsters?
Not all types of peanut butter available in the market are safe for our Hamsters to consume. Some will be healthier for your pet than others. Here is what you need to know.
Generally, any creamy peanut butter that doesn’t contain xylitol should be ok for your Hamster. Most peanut-butters are heavy on sugars and preservatives that aren’t great for your pet. Also, it would help if you looked out for peanut butter brands that are “additive-free.”
Creamy Vs. Crunchy Peanut Butter
Although crunchy peanut butter is utterly loved among humans, it is not safe Hamster. The safest option is to serve our Hamsters with creamy peanut butter.
You may find the crunchy part absolutely perfect. However, the little chunks of peanuts in the butter are a possible choking hazard for your Hamster and, therefore, aren’t safe for it to eat.
Not only can crunchy peanut butter be a choking hazard, but the peanuts also come out in their full form in your Hamster’s stool. Therefore, it is safest to stick to creamy to keep peanut butter a happy and safe treat for your Hamster.
Home-Made Peanut Butter?
The best option is to provide our Hamsters with homemade peanut butter. If you have a blender or a food processor at your home, you can easily make peanut butter.
Homemade peanut butter is also usually much healthier than store-bought because it doesn’t have as much sugar. In fact, it can have no sugar if you choose.
The process of making homemade peanut butter is pretty simple. All you need to do is put peanuts in a food processor and let it run for a few minutes. I advise you to use dry roasted or raw peanuts when making your peanut butter for your Hamster.
However, you must keep in mind that it is important to serve in moderation, even if you feed your pet with homemade peanut butter.
How Much Peanut Butter Should I Give To My Hamster At A Time?
Peanut butter makes a fun treat for our Hamsters. However, it is human food at the end of the day and should not be a regular part of our pet’s diet.
Although peanut butter does have a lot of protein that is good for our Hamsters’ well-being, it is also loaded with excessive sugar and fat. Overeating peanut butter can easily make our Hamsters obese and invite other health problems too.
I would recommend you not give your Hamsters peanut butter more than once a week or so. A very thin layer at a time is perfect for them. You definitely don’t want to give your Hamster a lick every time you crack the peanut butter jar open.
How To Give Peanut Butter To My Hamsters?
You can serve your Hamsters with peanut butter by serving them in their food bowl or feeding them using a spoon. Do not allow to let your Hamster lick off the peanut butter from your hand. You can also rub peanut butter in your Hamster’s regular food to make the feeding easier.
There are high chances that your Hamster will mistake your finger for food and bite it. Therefore, you need to be extra cautious while feeding peanut butter to your Hamsters.
You can get a tiny amount of peanut butter on a spoon and simply hold the spoon out for your Hamster to lick off of. This method is great so that you don’t get sticky peanut butter all over your hands or your Hamster’s cage.
Can Hamsters Eat Peanuts?
Hamsters can eat peanut butter once in a while. However, you must always serve your Hamster with unsalted and unflavored peanuts only. As peanuts are high in fat, it is important to serve in limited quantities. Overconsumption of peanuts can easily make our Hamsters sick.
Can Hamsters Eat Peanut Butter Every Day?
It would help if you did not feed peanut butter to your Hamster every day. Peanut butter has a high salt content, which can prove to be terrible for our Hamsters. Also, other components present in peanut butter are not safe for our Hamsters to consume regularly.
However, if you choose to add peanut butter to your Hamster’s regular treats, it is best to feed them an organic, unsalted peanut butter to help avoid giving your pet too much sodium.
Can Hamsters Eat Peanut Butter Cookies?
Although peanut butter is safe for our Hamsters, cookies are not a healthy choice for them. Most cookies contain sweeteners and other ingredients that are harmful to our Hamsters. Anyhow, most cooked food is unsuitable for consumption by our pets.