Onion is one of the most common foods among us. It also adds great taste and flavor to our platter. So as a Hamster owner, you must be wondering, can our Hamsters eat onions? Is it safe for them? I did some research, and here is what I have learned.
Onions are not suitable for consumption by our Hamsters. It contains certain compounds such as disulfide and thiosulphate, which are toxic for our Hamsters. Consumption of onions can lead to severe health problems in our Hamsters. If your Hamsters have eaten onion even by chance, take them to a vet.
It is very risky to feed our Hamsters with onions. It can turn into a life-threatening situation for them.
Although onions have excellent nutrient benefits, the risk outweighs the benefits for Hamsters. Therefore, never serve onions to them.
I can understand that you are left with more doubt in your mind, so this article has covered everything you need to know about Hamsters and onions. So, let’s get right into it.
Do Hamsters Like To Eat Onions?
- 50 Unique Coloring Designs Of Cute Hamsters
- Only One Design Per Page
- Printed On Good Quality White Paper With Glossy Cover
- Sized At 8.5x11, A Perfect Size To Color And Frame!
- Hours Of Fun And Relaxation For Adults As Well As Kids
As onions have a strong smell, most Hamsters do not like it even near them. However, sometimes it depends on the personality of the Hamsters as well.
Also, Hamsters are quite curious therefore they will surely try to take a bite if we leave an onion in their cage.
Therefore, it is better to not even bring onions close to your Hamster’s cage.
If you allow your Hamster to roam freely in your house, then you must make sure that they do not get their hands on any such vegetables.
Are Hamsters Allergic To Eat Onions?
Hamsters are not known to have any allergies to onions. However, onions are extremely toxic for our Hamsters. If consumed, it can lead to serious health problems.
Therefore, you must never feed your Hamsters with onions.
- What Vegetables Can Hamsters Eat? ( List, Serving size & More)
- What Fruits Can Hamsters Eat? (Complete List, Serving Size & More)
Are Onions Bad For Our Hamsters?
You must have understood by now, onions are not at all a healthy option for our Hamstrers.
Onions are poisonous to our Hamsters and can even be life threatening for them if consumed in large quantities.
Listed below are some of the problems that our little ones might face, if we feed them with onions:
- Digestive complications: Consuming onions can easily upset our Hamster’s stomach. We may easily digest onions, but the same is not the case with our Hamsters. These little ones have to face a lot of problems if we feed them with a small piece of an onion.
- Urinary problems: Onions contains a good amount of calcium, which can prove to be harmful for our Hamsters. Consumption of excess calcium can lead to health problems such as kidney stones in our Hamsters.
- Weakness: Consumption of onions will make our Hamsters weak in no time. Onions will make our Hamsters dizzy and weak.
- Risk Of Anemia: Eating onions can lead to the damage of red blood cells in our Hamsters’ bodies. This will in turn lead to less oxygen supply to the heart, increasing the risk of anemia.
- Weak immunity: Consumption of onions can reduce the immune strength of our Hamsters. Also, they will have a difficult time breathing due to the presence of some kind of disulfide compound in onions.
- Other Health Problems: Onions contain disulfide and thiosulphate compounds, which are extremely toxic for our Hamsters. Consumption of these compounds can lead to health problems such as irritation in the eye and mouth, breathing problems, excess salivation, and loss of red blood cells in our Hamsters.
FAQ: Onions & Hamsters
Here are some general query related to onions and Hamsters. You must give it a read:
Can Hamsters Eat Spring Onion?
No, our Hamsters cannot eat spring onions.
Spring onions are acidic in nature. They also have a high water content. Besides this, spring onions contains traces of sugar and fat, which is not suitable for our Hamsters.
Therefore, it is best to not serve our Hamsters with spring onions.
Can Hamsters Eat Red Onion?
No, red onions are suitable for consumption by our Hamsters. Red onions are similar to regular onions, which is toxic for our Hamsters.
Therefore, we must never serve our Hamsters with red onions.
Can Hamsters Eat Raw Onion?
No, raw onions are not safe for consumption by our Hamsters.
Raw onions contains disulfide and thiosulphates compound, which is poisonous for our Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Onion Skin?
No, just like onions, the skin of the vegetable is toxic for our Hamsters too.
The skin contains similar toxic compounds present in the vegetable. Each layer of the vegetable is poisonous for our Hamsters. This is because every layer contains disulfide compound.
Therefore, it is advised to never serve onion skin to your Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Onion Greens?
No, we should not feed onion greens to our Hamsters.
Although onion greens are super nutritious and packed with essential vitamins and minerals, it is not suitable for our Hamsters. Therefore, it is advised to never serve your Hamsters with onion greens.
Can Hamsters Eat Onion Rings?
No, onion rings are a big NO for our Hamsters.
Onions itself are toxic to our Hamsters, when fried, makes it even more dangerous for our Hamsters. Frying and cooking means adding several such ingredients which are unsuitable for our Hamsters.
Therefore, never do the mistake of feeding your Hamsters with onion rings.
Can Hamsters Eat Shallot?
Just like onions, shallots are a member of the allium family.
Having said that, shallots contains similiar compounds which are poisonous and life-threatning for our Hamsters. Besides this, shallots are extremely acidic, which makes is unsuitable for our Hamsters.
Therefore, you should never feed shallots to your Hamsters.
My Hamster Ate Onion!
If your Hamster has eaten a tiny part (less than 4-5 grams) of the vegetable, they will probably be alright. On the other hand, if they have ingested a huge amount, it can be dangerous for them. In these cases, it is important to take immediate action.
Your Hamsters will start to show reactions real quick, if they are poisoned by the vegetable. Therefore, you ust look our for any negative reactions in your Hamster’s body.
Also, it is advised to not treat your Hamsters on your own. It is best to take them to the vet in such cases.
Whatever the case might be, you must never panic and act smartly.
What Happens If A Hamster Eats Onion?
If your Hamster eat onion even by chance, then rush them to the hospital as soon as possible.
Hamsters do not have the capability to vomit therefore even if they ingest something toxic. The substance has to pass from their digestive system only.
Have a look at these bestselling Hamster Water bottles from Amazon. My Hamster loves it, yours will love it too!
Onion Poisoning In Hamster?
Onion poisoning is quite common in Hamsters. Even a bite of the vegetable can put our little one’s life at danger.
Onions contains certain compound known as disulfide and thiosulphates. These compounds are extremely toxic for our Hamsters and can result is damage and loss of RBCs (red blood cells). This results in several health problems in our Hamsters.
Hamsters may start showing signs of breathing problems, excess salivation, irritation in the eye and mouth, and other digestive problems. These symptoms may even worsen with passing time.
Therefore, if your Hamster consumes onion by any chance then take them to the vet without wasting any time.
How To Prevent Onion Poisoning In Hamsters?
Onion poisoning can cause serious problem to our Hamsters, if not taken immediate action. Therefore, it is important for us to learn some technique to prevent onion poisoning in our Hamsters:
- Do not add any vegetable of the family of onions (allium) to your Hamster’s diet.
- If you let your Hamster roam free in your house, then make sure there are no onions around.
- If you grow onions in your yard, then make sure your Hamsters have no reach to them.
Healthy Alternative For Our Hamsters!
We can offer our Hamsters a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. Here are list of some of my Hamster’s favorites:
- Carrot is a root vegetable that has a ton of health benefits. They are an excellent source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and other essential minerals required by our Hamsters.
- A small slice of the vegetable 2-3 times a week is ideal.
- However, carrot contains a decent amount of sugar and calcium, therefore it is important to serve it in moderation.
- Bananas make an excellent snack for our Hamsters. It is packed with essential vitamins and minerals. It also contains a decent amount of fiber in it.
- A small piece of the fruit once a week is ideal.
- Bananas contain traces of sugar which makes it a limiting factor for our Hamsters. Therefore, do not serve it more than the advised quantity.
- Tomatoes are a common superfood for us. It makes an excellent snack for our Hamsters as well. However, tomato greens are not edible for our Hamsters.
- Serving our Hamsters with tomatoes 1-2 times a month is ideal.
- Due to the acidic nature of tomatoes and the presence of sugar, it is important to serve them in moderation.
- Corn is my Hamster’s favorite snack. It is packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Serving our little ones with corn once a week is ideal.
- Also, corn is high in calories, and carbohydrates can lead to various health issues in our Hamsters. Therefore, serve no more than the advised quantity.
- Most Berries – Strawberries, Mulberries, Cranberries, Elderberries
- Berries are small colorful super fruits packed with antioxidants and vitamins needed by our Hamsters.
- Serving these berries 1-2 times is ideal. Do not serve all the berries at a go.
- Although berries are a good source of nutrients but they are high in sugar, so limit the amount.