Dragon fruit, also known as pitahaya or pitaya, is a fruit rich in antioxidants and dietary fibers which is essential for humans, but can our Hamsters eat dragon fruit? Is it safe for them? Does it has any health benefits for them? I did some research, and here is what I found out!
Our Hamsters can eat dragon fruit once in a while but without its skin or seeds. This fruit has several health benefits for our Hamsters. Dragon fruit also contains a good amount of antioxidants, which is important for our Hamsters. Serving our Hamsters with dragon fruit once a week is ideal.
Not only dragon fruit is attractive, but is delicious as well. However, it depends on one’s preference as well.
Not all Hamsters like to eat dragon fruits, but for some it is their favorite snack. However, do not make it a part of their day-to-day diet.
Also, Hamsters cannot produce Vitamin C on their own. Therefore, serving them dragon fruit is beneficial for their health.
Now let us learn about other nutrients dragon fruit possess and its health benefits for our Hamsters. We will also understand about the amount of dragon we should serve our Hamsters and that what part of the fruit is edible and what isn’t.
Nutrition In Dragon Fruit
Let us look in detail the nutritional values of 100 grams of dragon fruit.
|Carbohydrate, by difference||82.14 g|
|Fiber, total dietary||1.8 g|
|Sugars, total including NLEA||82.14 g|
|Calcium, Ca||107 mg|
|Sodium, Na||39 mg|
|Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid||6.4 mg|
Dragon fruit makes a good snack for our Hamsters. It has a lot of health benefits for our Hamsters, when served in moderate quantities.
Dragon fruit also contains Vitamin C, which is very essential for our Hamsters. now, let us understand some other positive points of serving dragon fruit to our Hamsters.
Dragon fruit contains a decent amount of fiber in it, which helps to control cholesterol levels in out Hamsters. It also safeguards our Hamsters from intestinal cancer.
The presence of fiber also provides our Hamsters relief against constipation.
Dragon fruit also contains a good amount of calcium, which is essential for the formation of bones and teeth in our Hamsters.
The consumption of dragon fruit is also known to cure depression in Hamsters.
Is Dragon Fruit Good For Our Hamsters?
Some of the common health benefits of dragon fruit to our Hamsters are:
- The Presence Of Vitamin C: As Hamsters cannot produce Vitamin C on their own, it is very important for them to have it in their diet. Vitamin C helps to prevent certain illnesses such as scurvy in our Hamsters. Also, Vitamin C helps in the healthy growth and development of our Hamsters.
- Antioxidants: Dragon fruit contains a good amount of antioxidants in it. These antioxidants help to prevent certain heart diseases in Hamsters. It also protects their body cells against free radicals.
- Keeps Them Hydrated: As dragon fruit has a high water content, it keeps our Hamsters hydrated for long and will also protect them against many diseases.
Is Dragon Fruit Bad For Our Hamsters?
Dragon fruit will make a perfect snack for our Hamsters if we serve it in moderate quantities. This fruit has a lot of health benefits for our Hamsters. However, overfeeding can lead to certain health problems as well.
Some of the common health problems that may arise due to over-eating of the fruit are:
- Diabetes: Overeating of dragon fruit can make your Hamsters diabetic. As dragon fruit contains traces of sugar, it may be harmful to their health. Hamsters have a weak digestive system, that cannot handle an excessive amount of sugar. Intake of a sugar-rich diet can make our Hamsters diabetic and lead to other health problems as well.
- Obesity: Excessive intake of calories can easily make our Hamsters obese. It is important to serve our Hamsters with less amounts of sugar. Excessive sugar will just make our Hamster fat and unfit.
- Urinary Complications: As dragon fruit holds a decent amount of calcium, it can lead to urinary problems in our Hamsters. Excessive intake of calcium can cause bladder stones and lead to sludge in Hamsters. Although calcium is important for the healthy growth and development of our Hamsters, overeating of the same can prove to be toxic for our little ones.
How Much Dragon Fruit Can Our Hamsters Eat At A Time?
A small slice or a tiny cube of the fruit at a time is ideal for our Hamsters.
As dragon fruit contains traces of fructose and calcium, the fruit should be served moderately.
Being a Hamster owner, it might be difficult for you to get over your little one’s cuteness. After serving them a small piece, they may always ask for more. However, it is advised to serve no more than the appropriate quantity.
How Often Can Our Hamsters Eat Dragon Fruit?
Serving our Hamsters a with a small piece of the fruit once in a week or so is perfect.
It is very important to serve the fruit in moderate quantities. Suppose, if you have served them with dragon fruit on Sunday, do not serve him an another meal of the fruit until next Sunday.
Also, it is important to serve these fruits as treats only. You should not make it a part of their day-to-day diet.
What Part Of Dragon Fruit Can Our Hamsters Eat?
We must be very careful with what we feed our Hamsters. Not all parts of every fruit is edible for our little ones. Some of them may have negative impact on their health.
Can Hamsters Eat Dragon Fruit Seeds?
No, our Hamsters cannot eat dragon fruit seeds at all. These seeds can easily choke our Hamsters.
Also, the seed contains certain chemicals which toxic for our Hamsters. Therefore, it is recommended to remove the seeds before serving the fruit to your Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Dragon Fruit Leaves?
We must avoid feeding dragon fruit leaves to our Hamsters.
Till date, these has been no concrete evidence whether dragon fruit leaves are safe for our Hamsters or not. Therefore, it is best to not serve it to our Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Dragon Fruit Skin?
No, we should not serve the dragon fruit skin to our Hamsters. The skin of this fruit is quite hard and our Hamsters will have a tough time chewing or digesting it.
Also, the skin of the fruit may contain chemicals, which may be toxic for our Hamsters. Therefore, it is best to remove the skin before serving it to your Hamsters.
Have a look at this bestselling Hamster Food Bowls from Amazon. My Hamster loves it, yours will love it too!
The Correct Way To Prepare Dragon Fruit For Your Hamsters!
It is very simple to prepare dragon fruit for your Hamsters. Listed below are the steps you must follow to prepare dragon fruit for your Hamsters.
- The first step involves selecting a perfect dragon fruit for your Hamster. The fruit you choose must be ripe. There is an easy way to distinguish between ripe and unripe dragon fruit. The ripen ones are red or yellow in color from the outside, whereas the unripened ones are green in color.
- Now, wash the fruit properly. This will help to remove all the dirt on its outer surface.
- The next step is to peel off the dragon fruit skin and take the flesh out. Do not serve the fruit skin to your Hamsters as it is too hard.
- Serve a small piece of the fruit to your Hamsters. Do not overfeed them as dragon fruit contains a decent amount of sugar in it, which is harmful for our Hamsters.
- After a few hours of serving, take out all the uneaten fruit from the cage. Rotten fruit causes a foul smell which may lead to stress in your Hamsters. It could also attract rats and flies.
Conclusion: Hamsters & Dragon Fruit
- Having its origin in Central America, South America, and Asia, dragon fruit is quite delicious in taste. The fruit has a lot of benefits for us as well as for our Hamsters. It helps our little ones to fight against chronic diseases, boost their immune system, and also protects them against several other diseases.
- As this fruit contains a good amount of fructose and calcium, it is important to serve it in moderate quantities. Serving our Hamsters with this fruit 1-2 times a week is ideal.
- Excessive eating of dragon fruit can lead to several health complications in our Hamsters such as diabetes, obesity, etc.
- Do not serve the fruit skin, seeds, or leaves to your Hamsters.
- Serve the fruit as a treat only. Do not make it a part of your Hamster’s daily diet.