Cantaloupe, a variety of muskmelon, is called by different names in various parts of the world. Cantaloupe is a fruit packed with vitamins and minerals needed by the human body but what about our Hamsters? Can our Hamsters eat cantaloupes? I did some research and here is what I have learned.
Cantaloupes makes an excellent choice for our Hamsters if served in moderation. Cantaloupe seeds and rind are not edible for our little ones. A small slice of the fruit once a week is ideal for our Hamsters. Overeating may lead to health complications such as diabetes, obesity, and diarrhea in our Hamsters.
Although Hamsters can eat cantaloupes, not all of them like its taste. Each Hamster has a unique personality and taste preference. Therefore, we need to first test the food by serving a tiny quantity and gradually increasing it if it suits your little one’s taste.
With that out of the way, let us look at what nutrients does cantaloupes possess and what are the benefits and hazards you should know before feeding them to your Hamsters.
Nutrition In Cantaloupe
- 50 Unique Coloring Designs Of Cute Hamsters
- Only One Design Per Page
- Printed On Good Quality White Paper With Glossy Cover
- Sized At 8.5x11, A Perfect Size To Color And Frame!
- Hours Of Fun And Relaxation For Adults As Well As Kids
Let us look in detail the nutritional values of 100 grams of cantaloupe.
|Vitamin C||36.7 mg|
|Vitamin A||3382 IU|
Is Cantaloupe Bad For Our Hamsters?
Cantaloupes will harm our Hamsters in no way if served in moderation. Overfeeding of the fruit can lead to certain health problems in our Hamsters:
- Diarrhea: Our little ones have a very weak digestive system, a sudden change in their diet will easily disrupt the bowel movements. Most Hamsters are known to suffer from diarrhea when fed with excess cantaloupes.
- Diabetes: Cantaloupes contain traces of natural sugar. Overeating of sugar will make our Hamsters diabetic in no time.
- Obesity and Bloating: An excessive consumption of cantaloupes can easily make our Hamsters obese. Also, cantaloupes are alkaline in nature. Anything more than the advised quantity can lead to bloating in our little ones.
Is Cantaloupe Good For Our Hamsters?
Cantaloupe makes a perfect snack for our Hamsters when served in the right amounts. Cantaloupe has a lot of health benefits for our Hamsters. Some of the common health benefits of this fruit includes:
- Helps In The Prevention Of Scurvy: Cantaloupes contains a decent amount of Vitamin C. The presence of Vitamin C in our Hamster’s diet is important in order to prevent scurvy. Therefore, it is important to add food rich in Vitamin C to our Hamster’s diet.
- Keeps Their Immune System Healthy: Cantaloupes are packed with essential vitamins and minerals required by our Hamsters. It is important to serve our Hamsters with a healthy diet in order to provide them with a long and happy life.
- Keeps Them Hydrated: Cantaloupes contains a decent amount of water, which is essential for the survival of our Hamsters. A lack of water in our Hamster’s body can lead to several health problems.
Can Hamsters Eat Cantaloupe Seeds?
No, our Hamsters cannot eat cantaloupe seeds at all. The seeds of the fruit can easily get stuck in our Hamster’s food pipe resulting in choking.
Also, studies show that cantaloupe seeds have traces of cyanide, which is toxic for our Hamsters. Therefore, it is best to remove the seeds before serving the fruit to your little ones.
Have a look at these amazing hideouts. You can either get a wooden made hiding spaces for your Hamsters or fleece made snuggle bed, which they can get into and feel at home. These are some of my favorites.
Can Hamsters Eat Cantaloupe Rinds?
No, we should not feed cantaloupe rinds to our Hamsters. The rind of the fruit is hard and has a rough texture, which can make it difficult for our little ones to digest.
Also, the skin of the fruit contains certain enzymes that are harmful for our Hamsters. The consumption of the skin can lead to digestive problems such as diarrhea in our little ones.
Can Hamsters Eat Cantaloupe Juice?
No, never serve your Hamsters with cantaloupe juice or any other kind of fruit juice.
The fruit juice contains an overdose of sugar and other artificial ingredients that are not good for our Hamster’s health.
Therefore, it better to serve our Hamsters a small slice of fresh cantaloupe than cantaloupe juice.
Can Hamsters Eat Frozen Cantaloupe?
No, it is advised not to feed your Hamsters with frozen cantaloupes. Any frozen fruit is a big NO for our little ones.
Fruits directly served from the refrigerator can cause health complications in our Hamsters. In some cases, it could even lead to diarrhea.
Therefore, it is important to bring the fruit to room temperature before serving it to our Hamsters. Always remember, fresh food is the best choice for your little ones.
How Much Cantaloupe Can Our Hamsters Eat?
Never feed more than one small slice of the fruit to your Hamsters at a time. Overfeeding can harm our little one’s health.
Melons should be served as treats only. Do not make the fruit a part of your Hamster’s daily diet.
How Often Can Our Hamsters Eat Cantaloupe?
Serving our Hamsters with cantaloupes once or twice a week would be ideal. However, never serve them the fruit more than two times. Your Hamsters might ask for more, but you do not fall for it.
It is important to serve these fruits as treats only. Overfeeding may lead to severe health problems in our Hamsters.
Correct Way To Prepare Cantaloupe For Our Hamsters?
Preparing cantaloupes for our Hamsters is a straightforward process. Have a look at the steps listed below to learn about everything in detail:
- Firstly, choose a perfect cantaloupe for your Hamsters. A perfect cantaloupe for our Hamsters would be defined as a fresh and a ripe one. The ideal cantaloupe would be a little heavy, would have a creamy light yellowish-orange color with no green spots.
- The next step involves washing the fruit properly. This will help to get rid of all the external dirt and germs on the fruit.
- Then, remove the skin from the fruit. Also, remove all the seeds from the flesh of the fruit before serving it to your Hamsters.
- After this, give a small slice of the fruit to your Hamster. Either hand-feed your Hamster or serve them the fruit in their food bowl.
- The final step involves removing all the uneaten fruit after a few hours of serving them to your Hamsters. Uneaten food generated a foul smell which can easily lead to stress in our Hamster. Also, it attracts flies and mice.
Can Hamsters Eat Rockmelon?
Yes, our Hamsters can eat rockmelon. Rockmelons and cantaloupes are the same thing. These names are used interchangeably in different parts of the world.
Can Hamsters Eat Yellow Melon/Canary Melon?
Yellow melon, also known as canary melons, is absolutely safe for our Hamsters to eat. These melons have a pinch of tanginess in them. Also, it tastes sweeter than other types of melons. However, it is important to serve these to our Hamsters in limited quantities. Serving a small piece once a week would be ideal.
Can Hamsters Eat Winter Melon?
Yes, we can serve our Hamsters with winter melons without any worries. Winter melon will make an excellent snack for your little one as it has a high amount of Vitamin C and other essential nutrients. Also, winter melon contains a minimal amount of sugar.
Although most Hamsters do not like the taste of winter melons, you can still try serving it to your Hamsters to see how it goes.
Can Hamsters Eat Honeydew Melon?
Yes, our Hamsters can eat honeydew melon. However, it is important to keep the quantity in check. Honeydew melon contains a lower amount of Vitamin C and other nutrients when compared to cantaloupes.
Also, honeydew melon contains an excessive amount of sugar. Therefore, it is important to serve it to our Hamsters in small quantities only.