Bread is found mostly in every part of the world and is one of the oldest human made food. Bread also plays a crucial role in some of religious rituals and secular cultures. However, can Hamsters eat bread? Is it good for them? Let’s find out!
Hamsters can eat bread but it does not contribute much nutritional value to their diet. It is just a junk food for them. Also, make sure you keep the serving quantity in check. A small piece once in a while is just perfect.
Bread is considered one of the most important meals in France. One can make different varieties of dishes with the help of bread. However, Hamsters are more likely an pet that needs to have a healthy diet, full of nutrition and vitamins.
Hamsters have a very weak digestive system in comparison to humans, therefore they cannot digest bread easily.
Now we already know, there are more bad than good outcomes of feeding bread to our Hamsters. However, to begin with, let us look at the nutritional values of bread.
Nutrition In Bread
- 50 Unique Coloring Designs Of Cute Hamsters
- Only One Design Per Page
- Printed On Good Quality White Paper With Glossy Cover
- Sized At 8.5x11, A Perfect Size To Color And Frame!
- Hours Of Fun And Relaxation For Adults As Well As Kids
Bread is just an artificial food made out of flour and water. It has no nutritional value, and does no good to our Hamsters.
Although there are various types of bread with different properties, but in general. a bread has:
- Fibers: A little amount of fiber (1.2g) makes it good for digestion.
- Calories: Bread contains 74 calories in total, which can make your Hamster obese if overfed.
- Carbs: 15.1g of carbs is for fast energy.
- Proteins: Bread has 2.9g of protein in total.
- Fats: 0.7g of fats are needed for optimal daily needs for energy.
As already mentioned, bread is nothing but junk food for our Hamsters. It does not have any exceptional nutritional value for them.
However, there are a few things which you must learn about it. So, I would suggest you to continue reading our article till the end.
This is the best book I ever came across. It helped me a lot to understand my Hamster better.
- Bucsis, Gerry (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
Are Hamsters Allergic To Bread?
No, Hamsters are not allergic to bread, but it is not very nutritious either. Although some Hamsters might have an allergic reaction to bread, but it is very rare.
As all types of bread are not the same, you must be careful while choosing the one for your Hamster. Hamsters might like to chew bread, but it cannot be served as their staple food. Bread is nothing but junk food.
Is Bread Bad For My Hamsters?
Yes, bread is bad for our Hamsters as they serve almost no nutritional value. Some of the reasons are as follows:
- It may lead to Bloating in Hamsters: The carbohydrates and calories present in bread may lead to obesity in Hamsters which might lead to them being sick too often or not being active.
- It may lead to choking in Hamsters: Bread may be a choking hazard for our Hamsters if they are fed the soft part instead of the crust The soft part might get stuck in their throat. It might also lead to suffocation which can cause choking in Hamsters.
- It may lead to digestion issues in our Hamsters: We humans can digest bread easily but the same is not the case for Hamsters. It might cause problems in their digestive systems. It is nothing but junk food. However, researches have shown that brown bread causes less digestion problems than white bread in Hamsters.
- Diarrhea: Digestive issues might lead to several problems for Hamsters like diarrhea, vomiting, gas, and pains. Bread might also cause some other stomach related problems. Therefore, it is better to avoid serving bread to your Hamsters.
Is Bread Safe For My Hamsters?
Although bread is safe for our Hamsters, it is not very beneficial. Also, it is not good for their health as it has almost no nutritional value.
Bread can be served to Hamsters only as a treat and never as their staple food as it might lead to several health problems.
I found these amazing Hamster supplies on Amazon, my Hamster loves it. Check it out!
How Often Can My Hamster Eat Bread?
Bread contains very few nutrients which include carbohydrates, fats, calories, etc. It does not contain any vitamins or minerals which are essential for our Hamsters.
Bread should be fed to our Hamsters very rarely, say a small piece in a month or so.
A bowl of vegetables is a much better choice for our Hamsters as it contains vitamins and minerals which are lacking in bread.
Can Hamsters Eat Brown Bread?
Yes, Hamsters can eat brown bread. It is way better to feed them brown bread instead of white bread as it is easier to digest.
Brown bread has the same qualities as white bread but it contains grain and wheat which is very nutritious, so it is feasible to feed your Hamsters with brown bread once every month or so like a treat.
Can Hamsters Eat White Bread?
It is best to avoid feeding white bread to your Hamsters. White bread is made with white flour which is very rich in starch.
Starch is a carbohydrate consisting of numerous glucose units which might be excessive for our Hamster’s intestines and might lead to problems like bloating.
Can Hamsters Eat Bread Sticks?
Yes, Hamsters can eat breadsticks, but it should be given in the same quantity as the brown bread (once a month or so) as it does not have any nutritional value.
Cut the sticks into small pieces so there is less risk of choking hazard.
Can Hamsters Eat Bread Crust?
Yes, our Hamsters can eat bread crust as it is hard and decreases the chances of choking in them.
However, serve them small pieces only. Also, keep in mind that you must serve them with regular bread crusts only and not the sugar or cinnamon ones (as the concentration of sugar in these types of bread crusts are very high and might cause digestion problems in Hamsters).
Can Hamsters Eat Butter?
No, we should not feed butter to our Hamsters as it contains a lot of saturated fat which is not good for them.
It also has very few nutrients because of which it does not benefit our Hamsters. In addition to this, it contains a lot of oil which can make their skin very oily and can harm their health.
Can Hamsters Eat Cheese?
Hamsters can eat cheese, but it is important to serve it in moderation.
Although cheese is rich in nutrients but looking at the larger picture it serves more as a junk food for our Hamsters. You must always keep in mind that cheese should be served as treats only.
Cheese alone does not provide a balanced diet which your hamsters need to live. The best way is to treat them with cheese once or twice a month only.
Can Hamsters Eat Toasted Bread?
Yes, you can feed your Hamsters toasted bread, but only in small quantities.
Make sure that you do not add any extra flavorings to the bread. Also, do not make the toast too hard or it can be bad for your Hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Banana Bread?
Although Hamsters can eat banana bread, but it is best to avoid it as much as possible.
Banana bread will do more harm than good to our Hamsters. Also, they are prone to diabetes. Therefore, it is best to avoid it.
Can Hamsters Eat Garlic Bread?
It is advised not to serve garlic bread to your Hamsters at all. Garlic is not suitable for our Hamsters, it can easily make them sick.
Hamster’s food tracks cannot digest processed food that well. So, it is best to not serve them with such kinds of food.
Can Hamsters Eat Sourdough Bread?
Although our Hamsters can nibble on sourdough, it is important to keep a check on the quantity.
As this type of bread does not have much nutritional value, it should be given as occasional treats only.
What If My Hamster Eats Bread?
It is ok to feed bread to our Hamsters only once a while. It should be served only as a treat. Even if your Hamster likes bread, you must feed it as little as possible.
Not only bread causes digestive complications but also many other diseases like diarrhea. So try to avoid it as much as possible.
Healthy Alternatives For My Hamster
By now, you must have learned that bread does not contribute much to our Hamster’s nutritional diet. So, here’s a list of healthy alternatives they would love to munch on:
- Commercially made Hamsters pellets
- Eggs(smalls pieces only-boiled, scrambled)
- Vegetables: Broccoli, Carrots, Spinach or Cucumber
- Fruits: Apple(without seeds), Banana, Strawberries or Pears
Only a few are listed here, there are many others with your Hamster may enjoy. These are the top ones.